What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Zephyr - I'm sure I'll drink it, lol. It's bubbling away just now - not as lively as my previous brews, but I have it in the fermentation fridge at 19C (as per the Beersmith recipe) so I guess it will chug along a bit more slowly. I see krausen anyway!

I used Maris Otter Pale Malt and Munich Malt and wanted to use a dried yeast (rehydrated) as I'm not setup to do starters yet - so I went with S-04.

My OG was 1.042 :( I'm still getting to grips with the process, Beersmith and the equipment profile for the ACE. I now realise that what I should have done is keep boiling until I hit the OG. I even have a refractometer but never ocurred to me.
What you will find with S04 is it will bubble away and usually after 36/48 hrs,finish around 1.012 and give a well compacted yeast cake.I especially like it in stouts.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Finally got around to putting on the Golden Rocket kit that I have from Beerworks.

Impressive amount of stuff in this kit

2 x 1.5kg IPA Malt
1 x 1.2 LME
1 x 20g Simcoe, 20g Cascade, 20g Chinook hops
1 x 20g US West Coast
1 x Mesh Bag
1 x 150g Priming Sugar.

Hopefully this turns out a good one.

Finally got around to putting on the Golden Rocket kit that I have from Beerworks.

Impressive amount of stuff in this kit

2 x 1.5kg IPA Malt
1 x 1.2 LME
1 x 20g Simcoe, 20g Cascade, 20g Chinook hops
1 x 20g US West Coast
1 x Mesh Bag
1 x 150g Priming Sugar.

Hopefully this turns out a good one.

I've just done another beerworks kit also. The Presidents Sierra APA. I chose it after sampling a little taste at the 'Lovebrewing' shop in Chesterfield. Really tasty! It comes with the citra hop, and I am also going to add some cascade to it also.
3rd Beerworks kit that I've done, and I gotta say they are really good :thumb:

I did a tweaked version of my French farm house saison today. I'm always trying to tweak my recipes to improve them. I've tried medium crystal instead of caramunich and I've upped the hops at whirlpool to include simcoe and Columbus to see if I can lighten up and compliment the saison peppery'ness.

Oh yes and I'm trying the mangrove jacks saison yeast for the first time too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did this basic grain recipe again, except to 25L (add 10%) and with much more chocolate (125g) in it, for a darker beer. Used Herkules to bitter and then 30g of Progress/EKG @15 and 42g EKG @ 0 mins.

This hop schedule just used the open bags in the freezer. I picked up 17 x 100g of slightly aging hops from Shawn (Sean?) at the HBC back in March (I may have been a little drunk at the time, to be sure), but it was a sale and it was free shipping for orders over £70, so I had to make it it up to the magic number somehow.

Just got a 6 litre batch of a 'Brakspear' tinkered with brew into the FV, BIAB.
Should come out around 3.8% ie an ordinary bitter.
Hope to get another brew on shortly,possibly a blushing blonde or another 'tinkered' with recipie for Cotleigh Barn Owl whichever takes me fancy first.

Just got a 6 litre batch of a 'Brakspear' tinkered with brew into the FV, BIAB.
Should come out around 3.8% ie an ordinary bitter.
Hope to get another brew on shortly,possibly a blushing blonde or another 'tinkered' with recipie for Cotleigh Barn Owl whichever takes me fancy first.

You used to be able to to get the Brakspear strain from bottles of triple (it was the first stain I cultured up) but the beer is discontinued now

You used to be able to to get the Brakspear strain from bottles of triple (it was the first stain I cultured up) but the beer is discontinued now
Never tried to culture a yeast.Guess i should do.
Afraid it's got half a pack of gervin in it,had it to use up soooooooooooooo!
Never had a Brakspear's either. Wouldn't expect it to be anything like it really,plus i tinkered with the recipie that i had .As long as it's a reasonable pint i will be happy:mrgreen:

Never tried to culture a yeast.Guess i should do.
Afraid it's got half a pack of gervin in it,had it to use up soooooooooooooo!
Never had a Brakspear's either. Wouldn't expect it to be anything like it really,plus i tinkered with the recipie that i had .As long as it's a reasonable pint i will be happy:mrgreen:

I'm sure it''ll be great. You can buy brakespear beers (brakspreare gold iirc) from waitrose

This morning I did my third 10L extract brew, an attempt at something like Hobgoblin.

500g light DME
500g dark DME
120g crystal
40g chocolate
300g brown sugar

25g Challenger 60 mins
10g Fuggles 10 mins
10g EKG 10 mins

CML Real Ale yeast

It is also the first use of my brew fridge, it's set at 18C and has already gone up the blow off tube, so should be ready to bottle when I get back off holiday.

Brewed the ESB from page 115 of Gregs book.The day went awful,everything went wrong.
First the controller was showing an error so couldn't boil my water I had ready with my salts already in,so I had to empty the tank, then dismantle the pid
on the tank because it was faulty and replace with a spare I had,trouble was it was a 4 pin not a 3 pin,so had to unscrew the controller,and remove the old one and wire it up!! 2 hours gone!!! Then I run the water up to 160 to dough in,mash dropped to 141,so I cranked up the boiler to 180,15 minutes later,added half of what would have been my sparge to bring up to 148.
Surprisingly my ph turned out at 5.4 with my first go with the Gypsum and Lactic acid additions,and hopefully it will turn out ok,if this Wyeast works.

Just kicking this off...a bit of a user-upper...
3.5 kg lager malt
210g carapils
200g crystal
100g wheat
300g dextrose
20g citra 70 minutes
15g citra
15g simcoe 10 minutes
20g citra
20g simcoe flame out
CML American pale yeast
Ferment at 18...
Mash in done..
All finished! Went like clockwork. Mash and sparge volume spot on,lovely aroma from the hops. OG 1044.

Back from holiday and can't believe the mancave is so empty.

Whacked on a WIlko Newkie Brown (which I've heard mixed reviews about, frankly, but just made an impulse snatch).

Shoved in 1kg of Muntons Brew Enhancer, about 250g of brown sugar, and a bit of honey - about 1.054 before pitching the yeast.

It's nice to see a fermenter in the kitchen again.....I'm sure the missus will be just as chuffed when she comes in and sees it (and then realises there is footy on the box tonight....and tomorrow.....and Sunday).

mwahahaaha etc.

I'm just about to finish the mash and start the boil of one of my favourite Kolsch recipes.

Going to try out the CML dried yeast for the first time on this one and let it ferment away while I'm away on holibobs for 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yesterday I brewed my take on a Belgian Tripel (1 US gallon batch):-

1.27kg Extra Pale Malt
36gr Caramel 10 Malt

9gr East Kent Golding hops (60mins)
3gr Saaz hops (5mins)

114gr table sugar (flame out)

1/2 packet of CML Belgian Ale Yeast
Fermenting at 21C

Brewed my version of a London ESB today. Based on Graham Wheeler's 3rd ed. Book of recipes, (Got loads in it I want to try), swopped out some of the pale in favour of biscuit. Didn't have any Target or EKG's so used extra Challenger and Fuggles. And finally, miss calculated on the water content and missed my SG by 7 points. So probably turn out more like a Dark Mild - in a Lagery sort of way..! :doh:

Latest posts

Back