New member and home brew virgin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just joined this forum after deciding to dip my toes into the home brew hobby!

I've already started on my first ever batch: a small brew of 5l of nettle beer that is currently undergoing its secondary fermentation in bottles in our coal cellar. I'm reasonably pleased with my first ever attempt so far: a pleasing colour and aroma after the first week of fermantation, just a bit of sediment in some of the bottles which IO guess is inevitable.

My housemate and I are going to be getting in some better equipment (ie, more than just the 10l bucket that I currently have) to make a start on some larger batches over the next couple of weeks so I look forward to gaining some valuable insight from the folks here.

Cheers! :cheers:

nettle beer, nice start there fella.

I have intentions towards nettle beer and I have a bizarre hankering to making carrot beer.... I have no idea why. I was 'almost' warned that nettle beer can be a little trippy from a good pal of mine who made it as a student.

Very interested to hear how it goes.. good luck!!

The nettle beer did indeed turn out to be quite "trippy". It's very strong and very fizzy, almost like champagne! I think this is down to the recipe that I was given: 5l of water into which is poured 500g of sugar and an entire packet of yeast.
If I was going to repeat this experiment I would double or triple the amount of water to make it a little easier to drink. In terms of flavour it is very sharp and a little bitter, although I think this may be due to the nettles being not quite as young as they could have been when I picked them.

As I understand the nettles do need to be young and just the tops, going to have to get that done next year then.. free beer, Happy days!!

Latest posts

Back