Expensive project!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhibbett

Landlord.
Reaction score
Found a source of new 20 litre oak casks. The plan is to buy one and a Cal Con cabernet sauvignon kit, omit the oak chips and mature it in oak for 6 months, then bottle it. Continue this process till I have a cellarfull. Mad of course

Crackers.......... :D
Where are you getting the casks from.....or is it a big secret ???
:thumb:

As I'm new to all this what would be the process of using one of these as I really like the look of these, do the casks make the wine really oaky or not? I would really like some info on this.

Nothing secret here. That's the whole point of this forum. But look before you leap, unless you got cash to burn, and in my humble opinion, these days, that's the best thing to do with the horrible stuff. Not literally, well not yet, but I'm sure you get my drift!
£65 (inc. courier delivery) for a 5.25 litre oak barrel, complete with dripping wooden tap, waxed interior, varnished exterior, stand and bung. You discover the downsides later.
As per the C J J Berry bible, filled new cask with boiling hot solution of washing soda, and drained murky brown liquid which turns out to be dissolved interior wax coating! Furthermore, the exterior is varnished, so cask can't breathe, except through leaky all wooden tap. They used to fit non leaking plastic spigots, but people objected because it wasn't wood. No real problem at this stage as I intend to fill it with ******, which is actually not relevant anyway. The pertinent issue is improving home made red wine by storing it in oak casks for months, omitting the cheap and easy addition of oak chips.

Rapidly cooling on this one. £89 (inc delivery) for a 20 litre untoasted barrel, internally coated with wax, varnished, complete with all-wooden leaky, dripping tap and unvarnished stand, it seems mostly wrong. My current brew, (barolo) is 23 litres and comes with toasted oak chips which I have already deployed. Next size up is 30 litres. Too big. They claim to make barrels to desired size, but you can imagine the premium you have to pay for that.

Latest posts

Back