John Palmer's Water Chemistry Video

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just watched a couple of his how to brew video's...very nice and informative.
The most sticking thing I noticed between his brewing and mine ( apart from the excellent equipment he uses !! ) is how relaxed and slow he takes it. I seem to be rushing a lot especially on mashing... he takes his time and I think I will try that. Also noticed his boil is not vigorous all the time...

theboytony said:
I think he's bringing out a book soon aswell, it's out to pre-order on amazon

He says that he was supposed to have a water book out this fall, but that he realized that he still doesn't know enough to put it together. I checked amazon and I didn't see pre-orders. It must be on hold for the time being?

Loetz said:
theboytony said:
I think he's bringing out a book soon aswell, it's out to pre-order on amazon
He says that he was supposed to have a water book out this fall, but that he realized that he still doesn't know enough to put it together.
:hmm: :hmm:
If you/John Palmer think it needs a book to describe how to treat your water for brewing you are doing it completely wrong
eusa_doh.gif
eusa_doh.gif
eusa_doh.gif

It baffles me why authors want to make water treatment so complex, it really is very simple

1. Remove chloramine/chlorine[/*:m:3vtztrnc]
  2. adjust alkalinity to that required for the style you are brewing[/*:m:3vtztrnc]
  3. Add at least 100mg/L calcium to the brewing liquor by[/*:m:3vtztrnc]
  4. Adjust sulphates and chlorides to change the malt/hop flavour balance[/*:m:3vtztrnc]

It truly is that simple, I first read it in Brewing (Lewis And Young, 2nd Edition) and it made complete sense to me . . . The same information is also in Gordon Strong's book Brewing Better Beer.

All this talk about ideal profiles for beer styles, Matching regional water profiles, Milliequivilants, residual alkalinity and balanced water profiles is a load of fog, that is just not required to treat water for brewing

Aleman said:
If you/John Palmer think it needs a book to describe how to treat your water for brewing you are doing it completely wrong.

I get the feeling that he wants to move beyond the 'how' and address the 'why' in his book, but I'm not sure.

Loetz said:
Aleman said:
If you/John Palmer think it needs a book to describe how to treat your water for brewing you are doing it completely wrong.
I get the feeling that he wants to move beyond the 'how' and address the 'why' in his book, but I'm not sure.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Gordon Strong and Lewis/Young Cover the why in about 5 pages . . . thats a pretty thin book :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back