Yeast nutrient in barm bread starter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redcar

Reaction score
I'm just making a barm bread starter and notice that it's very similar to an ale starter (bar the yeast nutrient).

Is it a good idea to sprinkle a bit of of YNB into it, or would it 'taste' the bread?

I'd appreciate any advice as this is my first barm bread.

TIA :)

Tomato puree and yeast extract both contain nutrients that yeast needs, so either of those could be used to boost yeast in bread.

I wouldn't bother wheat has plenty of proteins and nutrients in it like beer wort. Yeast nutrients are needed more in wine musts or cider musts as these are poor in nutrients.

Are you using a bread yeast or are you trying to propagate a wild yeast starter for sourdough?

I'm using the last 1/4 of a bottle of my Festival Golden Stag (just as an experiment) with a few tablespoons of strong flour and an equal amount of warmish water.

Just the flour and water alone would get you a sour dough starter. I would say that you will probably get some yeast action, with just that, though I would be tempted just to use the dregs as it may turn out too bitter. :thumb: :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
I wouldn't bother wheat has plenty of proteins and nutrients in it like beer wort. Yeast nutrients are needed more in wine musts or cider musts as these are poor in nutrients.

Are you using a bread yeast or are you trying to propagate a wild yeast starter for sourdough?

interestingly there was a discussion earlier in the week about people using yeast nutrient after having problems with beer stopping short of FG. it went away with the use of nutrient...

I agree with you since I've never had a problem too, but it may have benefits yet!

Well the barm worked, and I was going to get around the bitterness by adding honey.

Unfortunately it didn't work out as I didn't put enough flour into the mix and the dough spread across rather than up during proving. But it's definitely worth another go. :)

That could be because you over proved it. i always have problems with white sourdough but never with brown :thumb: :thumb:

Also just befor you put it in the oven tighten up the ball and plump it up.

What flour did you use ?

Back