Wilko kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowantree

Reaction score
Hi I'm new and need help I'v just started my first wine (wilco kit)
I'v followed the instructions and just put the stabalizer and finings In yesterday I'v just tested the alc vol it's supposed to be 12% I'm getting 7% reading after working it out.
I m wondering if I should of waited longer than the instructions said.
I would be very great full for any advice

Start 1.080 tested at 1.040 I'm only just getting to know the hydrometer I looked mainly at the potential alcohol content markers

Thanks thought it might be the case I was following wilkos instructions of 7days then ad the sachet s I'll start again .I think I should of done all my research before. I'm finding it very interestingAlmost addictive.
Thanks for the link it will come in very handy. And keep a look out here for tips and advice
Cheers

Take kit instructions with a pinch of salt they are always optimistic on times, your hydrometer will tell you when its finished, if you get a steady reading over a couple of days and its around 995 or below its done.

If you want to save some money instead of making kits you can make your own - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Is there a way to get it fermenting again maybe add yeast again or is it poor away job .i imagine its very sweet.

Wow looks good I'v just got in some Demi johns to experiment with I'll try the WOW and a few other recipes
Thanks

You cannot restart it as you've added stabiliser.
If you make a WOW change the orange for something else for your first try as it's not everyones favourite.

I'm going to use juice if it has preservatives in can I boil first then use or will I have to pay more fore pure

I wouldn't use juice with preservative in it as boiling doesn't appear to get rid of it all and it takes ages to ferment and a lot never finish and end up sweet and low in alcohol, you only use 2 litres of juice in a DJ so its not expensive, try a litre of red grape juice and a litre of apple juice and see what you think.

Easy Rosé wine (one of our favourites)

1 litre Red grape juice (ASDA)

1 litre Apple Juice (ASDA)

800g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Psst! Half-hinch one of SWMBO's shallow baking trays, they can be a bit volcanic sometimes in the first few days, you do get your own unique 'lava lamp' though!

Thanks I'll try it it might come in handy if it works with my inexperience . But hope fully I'll give it a go it seems a waste of 30 bottles not to give it a go.

Back