Elements for 200L boil kettle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u02scn

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm currently trying to upgrade my all grain kit from 50l to 200l. Not quite sure how much power to use in the boil kettle. Would ideally like it to come to the boil within an hour. I was thing maybe 9 or 12kW, i.e. 3 or 4 immersion heater elements. Has anyone else tried 200l or even 300l and could let me know how they go about it and how long it takes to come to the boil.

All electrics will be done by an electrician, i.e will be a new wire from the consumer unit like for an electric shower.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Steve

I use 6KW in a 100L boiler. The point being; this is about the biggest element you can get away with on single-phase. Even on this element wiring up for single-phase was an option (it was three-phase as default).

They came from tpfay.co.uk. Although I also used hightemperatureelements.co.uk (midlandelements.co.uk) who will knock up "custom" jobs but at a price that remains competitive.

6KW works well for me (75L max) but as you are doubling the size your idea of 9-12KW seems about right. My elements are on a 40A circuit; I could get away with the "normal" 32A domestic circuit, but wouldn't be able to do much else once an element fired up.

Wire up 3 or 4 domestic 2.5-3KW elements? You're not really in that league any more!

Thanks for your input. Really good to know you run 100l fine with 6kw. I was thinking 12kw would be fine on single phase as an electric shower can be 12kw.

Aye, you can get 12KW shower heaters! You might even be able to get 12KW elements that can be wired for single-phase now? I'd still dismiss the "3-4" domestic element idea, this isn't really a scale I'd be happy "bodging" things together in.

You'd have a 60A circuit to accommodate it (12KW). You main house fuse (electricity company's fuse, not the breakers in your box) should be 100A (at least?).

And you may look to have two 12KW elements. Boiler and HLT? Good idea to have a "control panel" that doesn't allow both to be switched on at same time!

Plugs. I guess you have dismissed domestic plug & sockets. Mine have 64A industrial plugs, and they'll do for 12KW.

At 200L you'll probably wire directly in and not have plugs. Even at 100L capacity I don't move my boilers and clean them in place.
EDIT: Should be careful there. I could be encouraging people to cross the line as to what they are, or are not, allowed to do! Anyway, your friendly sparky will keep you straight.

Yeah, possibly write directly in. Planning to keep the hlt at 3kw and put on the night before. With plenty of insulation the should work OK. Will have a look at plugs, but as you say, probably won't move these pots much.

Back