Home Brew Beer - Greg Hughes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a heads up. I saw four of these books in homesense the other day, think they were six quid each!! I nearly bought them just for sheer bargain buzz!!

How do the recipes in this book work out in a GF type brewer?

Cheers

Clint

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks - I've got the American Wheat in the FV at the moment. Seems to be fine though, just use the water calculator on the GF website...

Ah I think I get it...put in batch size and grain weight..it calculates mash and sparge amounts. ...does the grain weight/mash + sparge amounts account for the amount absorbed by the grain? As with large grain bills the total amounts exceed the GF capacity? The remaining water after mash + sparge gives start of boil amount allowing for loss down to batch size?

Cheers

Clint

The calculators are pretty much spot on for the GF, if you are using a bulky batch of grain and have 30-33+ litres combined strike/sparge after mash then when approaching the boil stir the wort well as you approach HH to minimise the chance of boil over. You may be slightly out after boil with pump deadspace/residue and maybe not allowing grain basket to get fully drained but it shouln't be more than a litre or so.

As chewie says the calculation is spot on...all my brews were on the spot. And one just under...but it's gets harder the batch size gets bigger...this was the calculations of mash-sparge and the boil etc
Wanted 23l...:-)

Just a heads up. I saw four of these books in homesense the other day, think they were six quid each!! I nearly bought them just for sheer bargain buzz!!
I think you 'may' find they are the 'First Edition' which has fewer recipes and is a little cheaper. I bought one in error, thinking I was saving a few bob:doh:
Still an excellent book:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I think you 'may' find they are the 'First Edition' which has fewer recipes and is a little cheaper. I bought one in error, thinking I was saving a few bob:doh:
Still an excellent book:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Didn't know there were two editions, no idea which one I have then?

I’ve got the Greg Hughes book. It’s great and I am planning to try quite a few of the recipes.

But I have a question: why don’t any of the recipes use dry hopping?

Was dry hopping not invented when the book was written?

Or is dry hopping too advanced for a beginner book?

Or is Greg not a fan of dry hopping?

I’ve got the Greg Hughes book. It’s great and I am planning to try quite a few of the recipes.

But I have a question: why don’t any of the recipes use dry hopping?

Was dry hopping not invented when the book was written?

Or is dry hopping too advanced for a beginner book?

Or is Greg not a fan of dry hopping?

I did his American IPA from 'the bible' and I think it would have benefitted with some dry hopping.
You just can't get that aroma any other way.

They do,look at the bottom corner of the Spring Beer recipe,it advises dry hopping for an extra fruity taste,Ive just done this beer,it recommends 25g I think,Ive just chucked 100g in.
It’s a good book but a lot of recipes are a bit underhopped for my liking but everyone’s different that’s what makes it so interesting

I've done a few recipes and they work fine. I've kept quite detailed notes so may try tweaking a few.
I wonder what efficiency the recipes are based on?

I've done a few recipes and they work fine. I've kept quite detailed notes so may try tweaking a few.
I wonder what efficiency the recipes are based on?

Pretty sure it's 75%.

I've done the Southern Brown, London Bitter, Spring Beer (with only galaxy and timings altered) and the Brown Porter is due to be bottled any day now. They are all great and I also concur that they work essentially as written in the Grainfather, I've just started scaling them down to 15 L as that means I can brew more often.

The book is great but is definitely aimed at middle of the road safe examples of all of the various styles. Not meant as a criticism though, as I doubt you'll find a more comprehensive and accessible list of recipes.

He's probably due to do a version 2 soon with newer styles.

Back