The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been putting my finished beers in the 'coal hole' for 3 or 4 days after bottling so just at outside temperatures of say 4c and they've been super clear when I've bottled. That's the real ale, us pale, kolsh and weizen.

I'd say the Kristalweizen has almost been too clear and I've had to make sure I've roused the yeast in the bottle at the end of the pour. There is a difference in flavour with the weizen - pouring it without the yeast gives this almost creamy, silky, vanilla flavour that's just on the right side of sweet; then if you add the yeast a tiny balancing little tartness appears that gives it a bit more maturity. Imagine your mam sneaking her hand past the satsumas in your stocking, pulling out the Freddo Frog and adding a bar of Old Jamaica. You'd screech and glub at first but then realise you'd become more than you were by the time you'd finished the bar... and wanted more.

Yeah, I tend to pour without swirling in the yeast. Had one yesterday and somehow poured it without a trace of a head.... Looks like a (headless) slightly hazy ale. lol Tasted good though, and lovely and cold.

Pretty sure kristallweizen are supposed to be clear though, and are usually filtered too no?

Attachments

• IMG_20180207_154529.jpg
    IMG_20180207_154529.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 82
Anyone experience a huge lag time with the US Pale yeast? I did a 3 way split batch before and thought I'd somehow put the pale in with one of the others as they were going crazy and it doing nothing even after 2 days so I added more. Have done another 3 way split and know I put it this time and exactly the same thing has happened. All rehydrated at the right temperature and I added a second dose to the pale and it's just now showing the slightest of bubbles and the others are almost finished.

Cheers. Must have been a duff sachet as that's how all the others are behaving and they all came at the same time and are stored in the same box in the fridge.

Just transferred my saison into secondary after ten days with a FG 1008, not as high attenuation the MJ French saison I usually use. That would of knocked it down to 1003-1004. So looking forward to see how it turns out.
Also pitched the kolsh yeast last night which is already bubbling away at 16c:thumb: I noticed when I rehydrated this yeast it floated like normal yeast not sinking like a brick the way the saison behaved.

Anyone experience a huge lag time with the US Pale yeast? I did a 3 way split batch before and thought I'd somehow put the pale in with one of the others as they were going crazy and it doing nothing even after 2 days so I added more. Have done another 3 way split and know I put it this time and exactly the same thing has happened. All rehydrated at the right temperature and I added a second dose to the pale and it's just now showing the slightest of bubbles and the others are almost finished.
I had a brew do this with the Pale yeast. All the others I'd done had gone off in 3-4 hours. Made a simcoe & citra 23l all grain and pitched yeast as normal. Nothing happened for days and then, very slowly it started to ferment.
Finally got to near target after a couple of weeks but the finished beer was undrinkable. Tasted acidic and the carbonation produced massive bubbles. Unfortunately had to tip the lot.
Hopefully this doesn't happen to your brew.
Used packs from the same batch since without a problem.

Anyone have experience with attenuation on CML kolsh yeast? Mashed at 64c with 95% pilsner, 5% wheat malt and gravity seems to have stopped at 1010 for 4 days now after raising temp for one week to 19c from 15c . Last time I used wyeast kolsh and it finished at 1006.

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with attenuation on CML kolsh yeast? Mashed at 64c with 95% pilsner, 5% wheat malt and gravity seems to have stopped at 1010 for 4 days now after raising temp for one week to 19c from 15c . Last time I used wyeast kolsh and it finished at 1006.
What were your og's?

OG was 1042 and it was a full pack of yeast in 10l so more than enough cells in theory

So I think that gives you an apparent attenuation of 76%. The CML Kolsch yeast specs suggest to expect 73-79%. I got the upper end of that range last time I used it, but what you got seems reasonable.

Pitched the real ale yeast into a brown ale last night, I thought I was going to be at high krausen this morning and all done by tea time! There's definitely something going on in there but not quite to that degree just yet.

So I think that gives you an apparent attenuation of 76%. The CML Kolsch yeast specs suggest to expect 73-79%. I got the upper end of that range last time I used it, but what you got seems reasonable.
Thanks , you make a good point

Pitched the real ale yeast into a brown ale last night, I thought I was going to be at high krausen this morning and all done by tea time! There's definitely something going on in there but not quite to that degree just yet.

4 gallons of Sunday's brew went into the FV with the notoriously fast s-04 at 19C. The remaining gallon went into a demijohn with CML Cali Common yeast with no temperature control ( ie getting down to 12C at night and maybe 20C tops during the day ). Just an experiment borne of curiosity really. But the s-04 one is still bubbling, albeit very slowly now, and the CML one is done and clearing markedly! Looking forward to how the finished articles compare...

4 gallons of Sunday's brew went into the FV with the notoriously fast s-04 at 19C. The remaining gallon went into a demijohn with CML Cali Common yeast with no temperature control ( ie getting down to 12C at night and maybe 20C tops during the day ). Just an experiment borne of curiosity really. But the s-04 one is still bubbling, albeit very slowly now, and the CML one is done and clearing markedly! Looking forward to how the finished articles compare...

Interesting stuff. Both really fast!

I found the ale and pale Yeasts kick off quickly but don't produce massive krausen that burst through the tube...they do get a vigorous initial fermentation but watch carefully...they continue longer than is visible..

I found the ale and pale Yeasts kick off quickly but don't produce massive krausen that burst through the tube...they do get a vigorous initial fermentation but watch carefully...they continue longer than is visible..

That's exactly what I've got. A fast start and lots of bubbles but only a very thin layer of foam which doesn't seem to be growing. It's early days though. And it'll get its two weeks minimum in the FV wrote gravity checks so I shouldn't get caught out at the end.

Latest posts

Back