Cool box mash tun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks back in stock. That being said, I'd be disappointed if I got it and it was just uninsulated plastic. Heard people drilling holes in these and filling them with expanding foam but I'm unsure if I could really be arsed doing that. :lol:

They really don't take that long to make. Once the coolbox is opened up it only takes 10 minutes or so to fill it will the foam. Once trimmed off and put back together, one of those silver backed camping foam mats make it look the business when made to fit and stuck on with spray glue.

I just picked up one of these 52 litre cool boxes from Tesco for £20. Not too impressed to be honest, lid is on a hinge and won't come off, also it doesn't seem to be that well insulated. Not sure what to do, might be taking it back.....

I just picked up one of these 52 litre cool boxes from Tesco for �£20. Not too impressed to be honest, lid is on a hinge and won't come off, also it doesn't seem to be that well insulated. Not sure what to do, might be taking it back.....
Hi!
Try making an insulated box to hold it, using builders' insulation panels or wrap it in a cheap quilt. At the very least it's a big box - it has potential.

It's got screws in the bottom holding it all together. I will take it apart tomorrow and see if it has any insulation. If not, maybe as suggested a trip to the builders merchant! Hopefully it will work out and will be the first step on my way to AG setup [emoji2][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took it apart today, it's got polystyrene insulation slabs about 1/2" thick. Think I will look into upgrading it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got one aswell.

Will pimp it and do a guide for here. With some extra insulation it really is huge for the price.

Just tested and it looses 2.2c in 60 minutes half full with water only.

Just running a pre-heated test before I start insulating.

Are these food grade plastic??

EDIT:

Apparently, they're made by a French company called EDA plastiques (part number 60722). Their catalogue indicates it falls under the requirements/guidance/whatever of EN 12546-2, which is for "Materials and articles in contact with foodstuffs - Insulated containers for domestic use - Part 2: Specification for insulated bags and boxes". So to me, that suggests it'll be fine to use, BUT I'm not even remotely confident (being unable to access the actual text of that guidance info), especially given that elsewhere in the catalogue, they make a song & dance about their jerrycans being "Food safe according to European standard", with no such note elsewhere for coolers etc...

Last edited:
Right so I finally got around to converting to a Mash tun,Took it apart to check the insulation and found a gap of 1" overall that being 1/2" each side around.Sorted by removing the insulation and spraying the side walls with expanding foam and was that a tight fit.
Next drilled 22mm hole and used a threaded 1/2" BSP nipple that came with the Bazooka to thread the inner and outer walls.
Purchased a Delcham fill valve and cut the valve off at the top to leave the treaded base and pipe which was then used to screw through the walls and attach my 1/2" ball valve.The bazooka itself just slips over the pipe but will need to tighten the crimp.
Has been sitting for 2 hours with no leaks although only using cold water but shall test prior to brewday to check for dead space and heat loss but all in £35 for a 52 litre mash tun and at that price it can't be bad.

IMG_20170313_194637.jpg

IMG_20170313_194403.jpg

IMG_20170313_194714.jpg

IMG_20170313_194727.jpg

IMG_20170313_194429.jpg

IMG_20170313_194527.jpg

IMG_20170313_201005.jpg

IMG_20170313_200947.jpg

IMG_20170313_201332.jpg

Latest posts

Back