Torrified Wheat Replacement

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_P

Reaction score
Can anyone help?

I have a few recipes that call for Torrified Wheat (TW), and I can't find a supplier here in Southern Germany that stocks it. Does anyone know of a replacement?

I have searched the forum and Google but without success.

My supplier stocks this: Château Chit Wheat Nature Malt Flakes (Weizenspitzmalzflocken Bio), but being malt flakes doesn't sound good as I understand TW is not malted, is that correct?

TW is not malted and has no diastase, so has to be mashed with a grain like pale malt that has diastase to convert its starch to fermentable sugars.
My understanding is that TW is only milled wheat grains, so you could check that out if you have a source of whole wheat, and possibly end up making your own TW. Other members may be able to help on this.

TW is not malted and has no diastase, so has to be mashed with a grain like pale malt that has diastase to convert its starch to fermentable sugars.
My understanding is that TW is only milled wheat grains, so you could check that out if you have a source of whole wheat, and possibly end up making your own TW. Other members may be able to help on this.

Thank you very much for your reply and confirming that TW is not malted.
If TW is only milled wheat grains, then I should be able to find that locally so I'll give that a try.

Again, thanks for your help.

hi don't know if it helps you
but I have seen this on ebay in England
don't know if its on Southern Germany ebay

I believe you can use Shredded Wheat breakfast cereal, if the German version is the same.

Torrified wheat has been cooked with steam to break down the proteins and is unmalted, but I think your flaked malted wheat would be the closest in affect on the beer. It is usually used for it's ability to produce a thick long lasting head and imparts little flavour.

Reading Gordon Strongs book Brewing better beer, he substitutes it for flaked oats as he doesn't like the taste torrified wheat brings to the beer.

Flaked or malted wheat does the job. People seem to put oats in pretty much everything these days.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Flaked barley is the solution to your woes. It's all wheat this and wheat that. No,no,no!! Take the blinkers off and forget bloody wheat! Unmalted barley to compliment the malted barley. That's all you need.

Reading Gordon Strongs book Brewing better beer, he substitutes it for flaked oats as he doesn't like the taste torrified wheat brings to the beer.
This is good to know, I almost went with flaked oats, but wasn't sure if it would give similar results to Torrified wheat.

Well my brew is in the FV and it looks, smells and taste good so far. I'll only really know the true results once it has been conditioned in the bottle.

It would probably help if the OP put the recipe up.

4.92kg Pale Malt
0.21kg Caramal/Crystal Malt
0.10kg Wheat Malt Flakes (sub for TW)
0.03kg Chocolate Malt

47g Challenger
23g East Kent Goldings

Wyeast 1318 London Ale lll

4.92kg Pale Malt
0.21kg Caramal/Crystal Malt
0.10kg Wheat Malt Flakes (sub for TW)
0.03kg Chocolate Malt

47g Challenger
23g East Kent Goldings

Wyeast 1318 London Ale lll

Looks like a very straightforward, no-nonsense English Bitter to me.
The 30g of chocolate is mainly about colour and 100g of wheat is going to little other than a bit of head formation and retention. The exact source of the extra protein from the wheat is not going to make that much difference and it is this that gives it the head retention qualities.

A no-nonsense English Bitter. I'm very pleased you said that as that is exactly what I am aiming for. There is nothing like that locally and makes for a very welcome change.

It's ready for bottle which I will do at the weekend. Looks and tastes very good.

The OG was 1,048 which was a little lower than expected, but it is now reading 1,012 a little higher than I thought it would go. But, all within range I believe.

I once email wayermanns about one of there malts and I got a very detailed response back. If my memory serves me right there s a few keen home brewer s that work there. They explained what subs could be made for wayermanns product s. Perhaps worth a phone call or email ?

Back