Keg, finings and sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer3419

Reaction score
Afternoon all.

On my first ever brew, making beer and have it ready to move to my keg at a nice 4.2%.

I like my beer quite carbonated, and i think i should be adding 100g to my keg when transferring it over from my fermentation vessel, is this right? And should i be using brewing sugar or will sugar from the corner shop do?

Also should i add my finings at this point?

Thanks all!!

What volume of beer are you kegging? For carbonating I don't think it makes much difference as to the sugar used as there isn't enough really to affect the flavour profile :thumb:

Have you checked first that your keg will seal up and be leak free? Ordinary table sugar will do for priming as its very cheap. If the beer has cleared rack it the day before you want to keg it and then transfer it to the keg that should leave it quite clear, using finings will clear it but as you intend to prime it then you will still get some sediment.

Yeah ive just checked for leaks and its fine. Also at what point should i put a co2 cart in? I assume its once the level starts to drop to keep the oxygen out and not as soon as i keg it?

You don't need to use finings but you can and there normally added when priming, what type are you thinking of?

Isinglass based fining. I see no reason not to put it in?

... as the vicar said to the Duchess!

Dunno if it's a "reason", but I have to ask "Why bother to add more effort and expense when it isn't necessary?"

Time and gravity work just as well and the extra time allows the yeast to tidy up the brew.

As a general rule, a brew that has been left to clear and condition for a few weeks tastes a lot better that one that was rushed. :thumb:

Isinglass based fining. I see no reason not to put it in?
About the Isinglass. "I see no reason not to put it in" but what is the reason you are putting it in?
It's your brew and you should do what you are happy with but why do something that probably won't bring any benefit just for the sake of doing it!

Its my first brew and im just finding my feet a bit. I had it as i popped to the shop and had some coppers in my pocket and thought why not! But thanks for your advice, its in the keg carbonating nicely fining free.

Quick number to remember is to use 5 grams per liter. If you want extra carb, you could go to 6 grams.

Quick number to remember is to use 5 grams per liter. If you want extra carb, you could go to 6 grams.
That is fine for bottles, but imo is too much for a standard PB if you have 22-23 litres beer in it. If you add too much priming sugar you will initially end up taking ages to dispense beer through the tap since otherwise you will end up with a pint of foam, and in extreme you will pressure stress the barrel, although ultimately the RV should vent.
I never go above 90g granulated sugar and even then have to be a little patient when drawing the first dozen or so pints.

Latest posts

Back