newbie - how much of a 5g pack of yeast for 1lL ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushagrape

Reaction score
Hemel Hempstead, Herts. (Originally London)
hello grape lovers, so im trying my first ever batch of wine, well prison wine lol, as seen on youtube. ive got 1 litre asda red grape juice, white sugar and a 5g pack of wine yeast from wilkos, gervin universal wine yeast.

i think i read that a 5g pack is for 4.5L so would say a 1g be ok for 1L ?

:smile:

e2a: 1 cup of sugar for 1 litre of juice ? maybe i should do more research :)

1G should be fine as for the sugar you need approximately 220g for 13% the RGJ will have roughly 160g so you only need another 60g.

I have just read this but do not know how accurate it is - One tablespoon of granulated sugar converted to gram equals to 12.50 g.

Why make 1 litre, why not 1 gallon? Will take same amount of time for minimal more cost.
A good simple red recipe is "Richards Red":
  • 3 litres red grape juice
  • 1 x 245 gram Youngs wine enricher - this is a must as it gives some body to the wine.
  • 1tsp nutrient, 1tsp citric acid, 1tsp pectolase ½tsp tannin
  • 450 grams sugar dissolved in hot water to make 1 litre liquid.
  • Water to 1 gallon - NOT 1 gallon of water

that seems a little complicated tbh but i do agree with making one gallon, ive got some 5l water bottles that i might just use on the next run. thanks for the recipe, just one question, probably a silly one but are all those additives you listed safe for health ?

are all those additives you listed safe for health ?

I think there would be a lot of dead home brewers if they weren't safe. WOW and Richard's red are the 2 simplest recipes I think you could get for white and red wines (respectively), if they are complicated then with the utmost respect I would suggest you not venture into country wines and stick to kits and juice wines. Knock out a few gallons of them then try your hand at a country wine, a good starter wine is "rice and raisin", quick (less than 4 months to drinkable but like all wines it gets better with age) but a nice drop of wine for bugger all price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

just one question, probably a silly one but are all those additives you listed safe for health ?

Citric acid is found in lemons, oranges etc

Pectolase is kind of like the opposite enzyme found in Pectin which is what jam makers use so that there jam sets, adding pectolase makes fruit runny instead by breaking it down at a celular level thereby increasing the volume of recoverable juice (good for winemaking really bad for jam making) It is also used to reduce the haze that can form in wines.

Tannin is naturally occurring in fruit such as grapes, we usually replicate it by adding stewed tea, tannin helps with mouthfeel.

I think there would be a lot of dead home brewers if they weren't safe. WOW and Richard's red are the 2 simplest recipes I think you could get for white and red wines (respectively), if they are complicated then with the utmost respect I would suggest you not venture into country wines and stick to kits and juice wines. Knock out a few gallons of them then try your hand at a country wine, a good starter wine is "rice and raisin", quick (less than 4 months to drinkable but like all wines it gets better with age) but a nice drop of wine for bugger all price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

listen hla, im not a dummy, im sure i could make the above recipe it just seems a tad ott given that ive only JUST started doing this stuff. yes i will be sticking to very basic "juice wines" for abit before progressing onto the more advanced recipes. thank you please.

chewie, thanks man.

CONFESSION TIME:

i were abit of a dummy (just for a moment mind) and didnt wait for a reply on how much sugar to use and just dumped a whole cup of sugar in the juice, which i saw a geezer on youtube do. i believe thats more than double the amount chippy tea suggested, as i used wine yeast will the alcohol content be way too high for consumption ?

been fermenting for 6 days and had a quick sniff and boy is it STRONG (LOL)

Back