Too late add Irish moss?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks

I forgot to add some Irish moss to my latest batch during the last part of the boil.
Could I add this with some yeast nutrient later on at any stage or have I missed he boat?

Titanic is gone. Irish does do wonders but without it isn't a loss. Just cold crash it after the second week for 4 days. It'll clear unless you added a fair amount of oats or wheat.
Go look up gelatin. It's a good way to go.

Titanic is gone. Irish does do wonders but without it isn't a loss. Just cold crash it after the second week for 4 days. It'll clear unless you added a fair amount of oats or wheat.
Go look up gelatin. It's a good way to go.

Do you add your gelatine before or after you cold crash?

If I had a penny for every time I forgot to add Irish Moss, I could buy a tub of Irish Moss to forget to add!

Patience is a great alternative to Irish Moss. That and chilling before bottling.

Gelatine can work well; it's a bit like some of the wine clearers. You add in secondary and let it drop out. One word of warning: I once made a rather nice American IPA and used gelatine to clean it up as I wanted it for some visitors. I didn't let it fully drop out (it's hard to see when it has) and when it came time to pour the beer a fine layer of gelatine had formed, which peeled away like old skin and landed in the glass, with bits of sediment embedded in it. After that, no one wanted to try it! I'd have been better off with a bit of haze!

I've ran out before and the beer just took a little bit longer to clear. The taste was still just as good.

Do you add your gelatine before or after you cold crash?

Add it when you start cold crashing. Some people, and I'm going to try it on my batch coming out now, add it to the keg when they add the beer to the keg. So as the beer cools and conditions up, the gelatin starts taking down all the proteins.

Gelatine's great for kegging but should not be used when bottling. If you do then the yeast sediment stays 'fluffy' and rises when you pour the bottle meaning you lose a fair bit more than you would if it were nicely stuck to the bottom. The bottles are very clear though.

Found that one out the hard way...

I've never tried it but couldn't you add it to the secondary then cold crash it? Wouldn't that leave behind the **** when you bottle and keg?

Gelatine's great for kegging but should not be used when bottling. If you do then the yeast sediment stays 'fluffy' and rises when you pour the bottle meaning you lose a fair bit more than you would if it were nicely stuck to the bottom. The bottles are very clear though.

Found that one out the hard way...

I bottle after using gelatin fairly often and have never had this problem. I chill to -1 then add it, and my bottles carb up as normal and only have a light dusting of sediment.

I bottle after using gelatin fairly often and have never had this problem. I chill to -1 then add it, and my bottles carb up as normal and only have a light dusting of sediment.

Tell me more... Fluffiness happened to me twice in a row. Same yeast (WLP023). Added about half a rehydrated pack of Dr. Oetker dissolved in a few hundred mils of boiled and cooled to 70C water. Beer had been fridge chilled to about 6C for a day. Left it for 5 days. It was not clear when bottling but dropped sparkling bright in about a week with little sediment but what sediment there was, was fluffy. Carbonation was normal.

I'm wondering if the fact it wasn't clear when bottled brought gelatine into the bottles. What did you do differently except the -1 temperature that I can't achieve. When I don't use gelatine it takes longer to clear and the sediment sticks to the bottom.

Tell me more... Fluffiness happened to me twice in a row. Same yeast (WLP023). Added about half a rehydrated pack of Dr. Oetker dissolved in a few hundred mils of boiled and cooled to 70C water. Beer had been fridge chilled to about 6C for a day. Left it for 5 days. It was not clear when bottling but dropped sparkling bright in about a week with little sediment but what sediment there was, was fluffy. Carbonation was normal.

I'm wondering if the fact it wasn't clear when bottled brought gelatine into the bottles. What did you do differently except the -1 temperature that I can't achieve. When I don't use gelatine it takes longer to clear and the sediment sticks to the bottom.

I use the gelatin sheets from M&S, about 1.5 sheets in a 15l batch, dissolved the same way as you. Used it with Belle Saison and CML US pale and both dropped clear in 48 hrs ish.

I suspect that the temp difference between us is making the difference here, though I've never used that yeast.

Latest posts

Back