Klarstein Skal Beer Tap and mini keg help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soton

some random guy
Reaction score
I am going to get a Klarstein Skal Beer Tap and keg some of my beer into mini kegs. Can anyone help with the process of kegging into mini kegs, how do they work and what do you need to do to use them?

I am going to get a Klarstein Skal Beer Tap and keg some of my beer into mini kegs. Can anyone help with the process of keying into mini kegs, how do they work and what do you need to do to use them?

Fill the keg leaving about an inch of headspace, priming with about 15g of sugar. Insert the bung - I usually put a bit of Vaseline on the edge just in case.

Leave in the warm to carbonate and in the cool to condition as normal.

24 hours before you want to drink it, put it in the dispenser and set it to the required temperature. I usually put the dip tube in place but not connect the gas or tap at this point. When you are ready to drink, connect the tap and CO2 cartridge and pour.

Fill the keg leaving about an inch of headspace, priming with about 15g of sugar. Insert the bung - I usually put a bit of Vaseline on the edge just in case.

Leave in the warm to carbonate and in the cool to condition as normal.

24 hours before you want to drink it, put it in the dispenser and set it to the required temperature. I usually put the dip tube in place but not connect the gas or tap at this point. When you are ready to drink, connect the tap and CO2 cartridge and pour.
That sounds simple enough. Could I keep a keg in the fridge and put it in the dispenser and drink it cold straight away? Also could I use a empty hob goblin or speckled hen for kegging into for my own beer?

That sounds simple enough. Could I keep a keg in the fridge and put it in the dispenser and drink it cold straight away? Also could I use a empty hob goblin or speckled hen for kegging into for my own beer?

Yeah you could stick it in the fridge first. I don't because I don't have room in the fridge - that's why I upgraded from the Party Star tap to the Skal.

I've never re-used commercial kegs, but plenty have. You'll need to get new bungs though IIRC, and I believe the Hobgoblin bungs are a nightmare to remove. The easier ones to remove are black with a red vent, the nightmare ones are red with a black vent. Im sure people who re-use commercial kegs will correct me if any of that is wrong.

Hi, figured it better to revive an old thread than start new.

I have just bought a klarstein, but I'm yet to use it. I'm a little confused with the tapping instructions.

I have bought some beers, each with the top bungs that turn to vent. Do I have to rip the whole bung out and replace it with the grey bung? How do I do this without spoiling the beer?

Or am I missing something obvious? Thank you

the top bung has a central plug might have a bigger flange on top but pull n twist as directed to vent and then pull a bit more, it will come off.

probably leaving a bit behind, this you just push out of the way with the tap dip tube ;)

the dip tube should be s snug fit down the hole left..

taking care to push the tap dip tube in square and firmly without forcing/bending and worst case snapping is crucial ..

Ah right, so remove the central bit in these pics? And put the tube through? I'm paranoid about breaking the tube, ruining the beer, or firing it all over my bar!

Attachments

• IMG_20180725_204058656.jpg
    IMG_20180725_204058656.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_20180725_204001461.jpg
    IMG_20180725_204001461.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 191
One of the kegs is the red bung with black centre piece. From reading it seems these are hard plastic. Does the centre still push out of the way like the other type?

Last edited:
Back