The trouble with kits..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigYin

Regular.
Reaction score
If it wasn't for my thermometer, despite following the kit instructions to the letter, the yeast would have probably been cooked...

Kit says 6 litres of boiling water then make up to 20.5 litres with cold water and stir in yeast - what? at 38c? I don't think so!

No wonder people starting out with a starter kit with no thermometer will end up complaining about a stuck fermentation if they've quite accidentally cooked the yeast through no fault of their own :nono:

Hi Big Yin,

You’ve prompted me to ask something which has bothered me for a while.

On the instructions I’ve had (mainly Coopers) it says that the wort is at a vulnerable stage when you have mixed in your enhancer / sugar and topped up with the correct amount of water. – It does give a range / ideal temperature for adding the yeast but also states that it is more important to get the yeast in than to leave the wort in this vulnerable state.

I have stuck to this method as I am still relatively new and do not know any better and in fairness have had very good results. I don’t think mine have been as high as 38c but they have been around the 30c mark.

But I would like to know if you really do have to add the yeast so quickly – I always find myself flapping and panicking in case I leave it too long and mess it up. :?:

Any thoughts on this anyone? :wha:

alarm bells should be ringing, 6 litres plus 20.5 litres, 26.5 litres volume?
6 pints is just a bit over.
we dont want thin beer. :)

no no - make up to 20.5 litres :thumb:

So 6 litres at just under 100c is then cooled by 14.5 litres at say 10c - producing a drew of around 38c - far too hot for yeast :nono:

Paolomuzzo said:
On the instructions I’ve had (mainly Coopers) it says that the wort is at a vulnerable stage when you have mixed in your enhancer / sugar and topped up with the correct amount of water. – It does give a range / ideal temperature for adding the yeast but also states that it is more important to get the yeast in than to leave the wort in this vulnerable state.

I have stuck to this method as I am still relatively new and do not know any better and in fairness have had very good results. I don’t think mine have been as high as 38c but they have been around the 30c mark.

But I would like to know if you really do have to add the yeast so quickly – I always find myself flapping and panicking in case I leave it too long and mess it up. :?:

Any thoughts on this anyone? :wha:

Well, my brew was too hot to add yeast, so I stuck the lid on and left it overnight - this morning it was 25c so I gave it a stir, added in the yeast, and fingers crossed, it'll be fine :pray:

I think the yeast being in may help the brew resist infection from bacteria - so without the yeast it is vulnerable, but if you've disinfected properly, a few hours delay shouldn't be a disaster :wha:

Interesting. If you have ever done a Brupacks kit they advise making a starter by pitching yeast in water that has cooled to 38 to 40C. I always thought that was on the hot side but I have followed the instructions a few times with good results.

When I make starters these days however, the temperature is more like 30C.

I suppose you can think of it this way: if you have ever noticed any "rear-end effects" from drinking too much unfiltered beer, it proves that yeast are still alive and kicking (or should I say fermenting) at 37 degrees Celcius. :lol:

Pitching it too high (not way too high) is going to result in the "wrong sort" of ferment rather than killing the yeast I would have thought? So does it depend how quickly it'll drop and how soon fermentation starts in earnest?

Back