fitting tap to copper manifold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitoog

Reaction score
hi all
I am getting a 66L cool box and gonna try and make a copper manifold for it. I am looking at using a 1/2 inch nipple bolted to the mash tun side wall. with a ball valve tap on one end and a compression fitting at the other for copper manifold. has anyone done something like this possibly with pics. The other option is to use a plastic drum tap with pvc tubing pushed in and secured to the copper with a hose clip.

I'm not sure how much a 66L coolbox differs from my smaller brewpaks one, but this is the Manifold that came pre built with mine:

IMAGE_593.jpg

here it is disconnected and flipped over:

IMAGE_594.jpg

i've not yet had a stuck sparge or it slipping out and becoming disconnected *touches wood* and i reckon my efficiency isn't bad either ;)

the tap on the outside of mine is just a fermenter tap:

IMAGE_592.jpg

that size tubing in mine is a nice snug fit on the inside, and goes over the outside of the tap which i then slide tubing into, acting as a reducer if i want hook up a pipe to drain through.

i notice though that the outer hole of the coolbox is drilled wider, so the tap only actually compresses on the inside skin of the coolbox.

hopefully that's helpful and will give you some ideas on how to do yours ;)

I have got a 66L coolbox, it has a ball valve - but... someone else made it for me :oops:

I'll post some pics of it tho :grin:

nice pics there brewstew, looks simple enough,I might use but looking at ball valve setup first. An idea of your setup would be great Wez.

Piccys taken just uploading them (just realised how dirty my tun is) :oops:

Not sure how much this will help, I'll be giving the tun a good clean tomorrow :whistle:

Basically it appears to be fixed on the inside to the inner wall and the hole from the outside is full of sealant.

Inside:
04082008760.jpg

Outside:
04082008759.jpg

I fitted a tap today but it seems to leak unless I put ptfe tape on nut on inside of mash tun,maybe water running down threads?. It is basically a 1/2 inch nipple through hole in the coolbox with backnut and rubber washer on inside and washer and backnut on outside. Could i solder the inside backnut on with lead free silver solder( plumbing section B&Q) or is it ok to use ptfe tape? . I will get some pics up tomorrow.

Yep you've got liquid travelling along the thread.
The only way I found round that type of set up was to line up the back nut (inside the tun) where you want it on the nipple and mark it.
Take the back nut off, wrap PTFE tape around the nipple and then put the back nut back onto the nipple, up to the same position. That seals the nut to the nipple and the washer between the nut and tun seals that mating area.

Then pass the nipple through the hole from the inside of the tun and apply the back nut to the outside (no ptfe or washer needed). The trick is to keep the nipple still whilst you tighten the front nut only.
This can be done by using a pair of mole grips or pliars gripping the nipple on the inside of the tun, whilst you tighten the back nut on the front of the tun.

I did it this way on my last brewery and had no problems at all. Hope that helps ;)

cheers vossy and AT. I was thinking same myself about sealing thread with ptfe let the rubber washer deal with the rest.I have it put together now like yoiu said Vossy and no leaks when I tested :clap:

Great news :cool: So when are you doing the bigger brews? Last time i talked to you, you had to much beer. You must be working that elbow :lol: :lol:

slowly working my way through my beer reserve :D AT and enjoying my new Pale Ale using Golden Promise for first time and I really like it. Its still a bit hazy but tastes great. Probably will be a few weeks before I test my 60L boiler and mash tun. Will get some pics together tomorrow hopefully.

put the manifold together today and seems to lokk as if it should work :D . I could only get elbows and t's with solder built in like type from B&Q . Is it safe to use these connectors for the mash tun as I am finding it hard to find plain old copper elbow's and T's. The next challenge is cutting the slits in the copper. Would you recommend 1/2 inch or 1 inch spacing?

I'd say go with 1/2" to 3/4" spacing, thats what I have on mine, but see what the others think.

Nice pics BTW :cool:

cheers Wez. still gonna have to source some pure copper elbows before I start brewing I think. Hopefully I will get some next week.

I cut the slits in my copper manifold today with a jigsaw but two slits ended up twice as wideas the rest. I hope it will still be ok, what do you guys think? pic below showing my mornings work and you can see wide slit on the top pipe.

Back