Are plastic fermenting buckets repairable?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Clark

Reaction score
I was planning to make up a 5 gallon batch but the 5 gallon fermenting bucket I was going to use has developed a crack.

It was first apparent when I put some cleaning solution in and it started dripping out from the heated joint between the base of the bucket and the side along a section about 1 inch long. The split is so fine I can't actually see it but liquids know it is there.

What I was wondering is, can you repair such a small split in the original bonding. On a normal bucket I would either throw it away and buy a new one or take the soldering iron or red hot welding rod to it to heat the plastic and then stir the molten mass back into one. But as beer & wine would be going in it I don't really like that plan.

Off down the shops it is then.

Can't really complain though, it was a freecycle item.

snail59 said:
I have an FV that is cracked I use it to sanitise my bottles in as the crack is above the top of the bottles. Waste not want not I say.

If you dont want the crack to get any bigger/longer, drill a 5mm hole at the base of the crack :thumb: thats what we do in the Aircraft maintainence industry Called a "stop drill" :thumb: :cheers:

Brewmarc said:
If you dont want the crack to get any bigger/longer, drill a 5mm hole at the base of the crack :thumb: thats what we do in the Aircraft maintainence industry Called a "stop drill" :thumb: :cheers:

What planes get cracks in them :eek: :eek: :eek: :pray: :pray:

graysalchemy said:
Brewmarc said:

Air Force One.

Oh. I thought you meant crackers.

jamesb said:
graysalchemy said:
Brewmarc said:

Air Force One.

I was thinking more of BOAC Flight 781. Never liked flying the thought of an aluminium tube with wings powered by big hair dryers defying gravity :nono: :nono: ......do i need to go on.

Brewmarc said:
If you dont want the crack to get any bigger/longer, drill a 5mm hole at the base of the crack :thumb: thats what we do in the Aircraft maintainence industry Called a "stop drill"
It certainly works with "bog roll", it never tears along the perforation! :whistle:

Never lost a Jumbo yet or 777 :whistle: & Iv stop drilled many a crack. Just dont tell the crew & they dont tell the passengers :whistle: :nono: :nono: :lol:This has giving me some "name" ideas for my next brew's :hmm: "Plain Crash Disaster Ale"(never to ferment :eek: ). "What Mountain? polish PM Pilsner", " Port(er) Engine on Fire Rauchbier" :lol: :lol:

ericstd said:
Brewmarc said:
Never lost a Jumbo yet or 777
Is the 5mm dia critical?

Not really + - 1mm, but standerd practice is to use 3/16" which is about 5mm, 4.76 to be precise :whistle: smaller holes eg 2mm are more likely to restart another crack from the stopdrill.

jamesb said:
graysalchemy said:
Brewmarc said:

Air Force One.

I was thinking more of BOAC Flight 781. Never liked flying the thought of an aluminium tube with wings powered by big hair dryers defying gravity :nono: :nono: ......do i need to go on.[/quote]

As you know Boac Flight 781 was the old Comit aircraft Which had almost square windows, more importantly the rivits in the structure around the window were "puncthed" through the skin causing hairline cracks that developed into big ones.......= DISASTER :eek: nowdays A/C windows are round, & rivet & stop holes drilled & debured :clap: :thumb: . Just a bit of useless info I know. :? :roll: :hmm:

Brewmarc said:
As you know Boac Flight 781 was the old Comit aircraft Which had almost square windows, more importantly the rivits in the structure around the window were "puncthed" through the skin causing hairline cracks that developed into big ones.......= DISASTER :eek: nowdays A/C windows are round, & rivet & stop holes drilled & debured :clap: :thumb: . Just a bit of useless info I know. :? :roll: :hmm:

Thanks for that quick lesson on aeronautical design however I still can't get over the fundamental principals of flight
aluminium tube with wings powered by big hair dryers defying gravity :nono: :nono: ......do i still need to go on. :lol: :lol:

graysalchemy said:
Brewmarc said:

Thanks for that quick lesson on aeronautical design however I still can't get over the fundamental principals of flight
aluminium tube with wings powered by big hair dryers defying gravity :nono: :nono: ......do i still need to go on. :lol: :lol:

well I could go on about the theory of flight, but I will probably bore myself & evertbody else off this forum :? :lol:

Brewmarc said:
well I could go on about the theory of flight, but I will probably bore myself & evertbody else off this forum :? :lol:
No,please go on, but the snug would be a better Forum!

ericstd said:
[quote="Brewmarcwell I could go on about the theory of flight, but I will probably bore myself & evertbody else off this forum :? :lol:
No,please go on, but the snug would be a better Forum![/quote]

Well If anyone really is interested in the therory of flight or anything aviation orientated for that matter PM me & Ill be quite happy to bore the pants off everybody in "The Snug" :lol: :hmm:

Latest posts

Back