Hard cider question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt97055

Reaction score
I did 5gal of real apple juice and a packet of yeast last Thursday. How long do I let it ferment? I have heard anything from 1 week to 3 months. Do I just wait until it clears up? Then keg it fo like a month befor trying it?

I did 5gal of real apple juice and a packet of yeast last Thursday. How long do I let it ferment? I have heard anything from 1 week to 3 months. Do I just wait until it clears up? Then keg it fo like a month befor trying it?

I don't make cider but a little searching found this (if any cider makers think this advice is wrong feel free to correct it)

Fermentation

1. Let the cider sit and ferment for 2 weeks or until bubbling comes to a minimum.

Racking and Second Fermentation

Rack to 2nd carboy. Now is the time to decide if the hard cider should be any sweeter. I always put a little in a cup and taste test to see if it needs to be sweetened.

If the cider needs to be sweeter, it can be sweetened with a non-alcohol sugar like Splenda. Any sweetener that the yeast will not eat is fine.

At this point any natural flavouring can be added as long as the fermentation has come to an end. Use as directed by the manufacturer, normally around 1/4 teaspoon per gallon.

Install a freshly sanitized rubber stopper and airlock.

Let the cider sit for approximately 3 weeks in the 2nd carboy, 3 weeks is not a magic number, it can sit in the secondary for up to 3 months.

Back