Bottle Washing tips and tricks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for bottle cleaning and sanitation i have a couple od old fv buckets to soak the bottles in batches in warm oxi solution, removing one at a time and replacing with a new dry bottle before rinsing out under the tap, and then spraying the inside with a trigger spray bottle of starsan and standing upturned in the crate..

bottles left with sediment in to dry need standing with cold water in for 24 hours before emptying and soaking in warm oxi for 10mins

+1 for a SS pan scrubbie to remove the placky lable glue, i also find a quick repetitive scrape off with the back of a table knife will remove 70-90% of the gunk before attacking with a scrubbie.

Dont soak grolsh bottles with warm oxi and seal up :electric: they can go bang!!

I've given up on peeling labels off, far too laborious. I've just bottled my latest brew wit labels still on, just make a note on the bottle cap!

+1

As others have said, some labels come off much easier than others. Before I got lazy I used to score the stubborn ones a few times with the edge of a serrated blade then soak in warm water with a drop of detergent in it (acts like wallpaper stripper) and just leave them.
Eventually the water will do 90% of the work for you.
As for de-gluing the glass, I found that different solvents were more effective on different bottles, they mustn't all use the same adhesive. I usually tried white spirit first. If that didn't work I'd switch to meths, then thinners. One of them would always be noticeablt more more effective than the others.

Latest posts

Back