New old kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not going to go any lower than 1.006.

Strictly speaking you should measure the gravity over 3 days to check it isn't still fermenting - if the reading hasn't changed over 3 days (and like yours its got down to circa 1010) then its finished and ready for bottling.

If it has only just finished fermenting it is worth leaving it for a few more days - the yeast cleans up some of the fermenting waste products once its finished fermenting which allegedly results in a cleaner tasting pint.

I wouldn't worry too much about the taste/smell at the end of fermentation - it will taste/smell very different after 4-8 weeks in the bottle as it conditions.

Lots of stories on here of funky tastes/smells during and after fermentation - most turn into great pints with conditioning.

Stop worrying about it, my advice would be to leave it for a few more days, check the gravity on Sunday morning again and if still at 1.006 then bottle it, leave in the warm for 2 weeks, move to somewhere cooler for a further 2 weeks then try one. If you can leave the bottles alone for longer it will be even better after longer conditioning.

OK
Its been bottled at about 20 degs for 7 days now.
Looks clear but dose not seem fizzy. is there a way to check. i used 1/2 t spoon of brewing sugar per bottle. im gonna leave another week till i put in fridge of 2 more weeks......

Steeped grain will help (but only darker grains steep so not really in keeping with cervaza). If you can get hold of some aroma hops you could add some dry to the fv for flavour (recommend citra or willamette).
Add lime cordial manually to each drink rather than to brew so if you add to much it won't wreck the lot.
Luke

OK
Its been bottled at about 20 degs for 7 days now.
Looks clear but dose not seem fizzy. is there a way to check. i used 1/2 t spoon of brewing sugar per bottle. im gonna leave another week till i put in fridge of 2 more weeks......

I batch prime with sugar (80-100gms for a bitter and 150-160gms for a lager per 22 litre brew) so not sure how that equates to your half teaspoon per bottle.

However, I do find there is big difference in carbonation between 1 and 2 weeks in the bottle. Leave until its had 2 weeks and try again.

If its still not fizzy after 2 weeks then something else is going on, either too little priming sugar, not warm enough for ferment/carbing to take place, or some issue with the yeast.

Having said that, I do think you will find you crack one open after 2 weeks in the bottle and it will be much improved !

Good luck with it.

Just got my next kit. Gonna start later. I take it less water means higher ABV. I recon my first is under 5 but I'd rather 5.5.....

What kit you got ?

and Yes, adding a bit less water, say making up to 19-20litres instead of 23litres, does result in a higher ABV% and more body.

Depends a bit on fermentables used but you are aiming on a starting gravity reading of approximately 1.052 to produce a beer with 5.5%abv

Its another Wilko own brand...Light Golden Larger. 1kg sugar is 4% if i follow instructions.
I may use 200g of honey, 500g Spray malt Light, 300g Brewing Sugar. All with just 20l water....what do you think?????

HHMMMM
I just cracked my 1st bottle and its not very fizzy. A slight FSST when i opened but its virtually flat. No real Head at all. its also a bit cloudy however it tastes OK.
Anything i can do to save it, perhaps re prime in a bucket and re bottle and wait another couple of weeks, or even just leave for longer. i used 1/2 t spoon of sugar per pint bottle.....

Some people like it flat. Welcome to Real Ale!

You could probably try re-priming, but personally, I wouldn't bother. Depending on how consistent you were with the sugar, you may find some more fizzy than others. This is why batch priming is better.

Did you leave the bottles to condition somewhere warm enough by the way, like 18c+ ?

Back