Keeping it cool

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both have been reading 22/24 on the strip thermometer and I barrelled the Thursday brew tonight as it was down to 1010 and clear. (This one not dry hopped)
Hoping for no off flavours from the heatwave!

Fingers that you get away with it .

Today will be the hottest day, but Myqul was suggesting above that the worst time for off taste problems is 24 / 48 hours after pitching. That makes a lot of sense since that is when the yeast is much more active and doing stuff in the brew.

Fingers that you get away with it .

Today will be the hottest day, but Myqul was suggesting above that the worst time for off taste problems is 24 / 48 hours after pitching. That makes a lot of sense since that is when the yeast is much more active and doing stuff in the brew.

Well I had a glass full when barrelling and it tasted ok so hopefully all will be well. The one still in the bucket is already down to 1010 as I brewed it last Tuesday so what's done is done as far as that one is concerned. Going to bottle it up tomorrow night. Cheers Tony. :cheers:

Well I had a glass full when barrelling and it tasted ok so hopefully all will be well. The one still in the bucket is already down to 1010 as I brewed it last Tuesday so what's done is done as far as that one is concerned. Going to bottle it up tomorrow night. Cheers Tony. :cheers:

Think you should be fine. US-05 has an upper tolerance limit of 25C

The precursor for most off flavours is 24-48hrs after pitching. As for the rest of the the fermentation time I'm not sure. It's just best to try and keep it at a stable temp as best as you can

Having been researching yeast temps this morning, I am wrong to state that the first 24-48hrs is the time when most off flavours are formed, it's 72hrs (3 days)

I learnt the hard way about this, my first ever brew which was a kit I decided to throw together during a blisteringly hot Saturday in July it was 26ºc when mixed up and I left it all day until midnight when it was still 25ºc before pitching. it remained 24ºc for pretty much most of the following 2 weeks.. it didn't end up too good.. (also was very guilty of lots of newbie mistakes granted).

I actually decided to move my FV for subsequent brews (the next one which was end of the following August) to the front of the house which is East facing and in the downstairs toilet where the sun gets little exposure and the room can remain cooler.

I am on a brewing break but hope to return soon but will perhaps consider a saison for something a little different.

We've a heatwave coming next week and I'm brewing on monday (pitching on Tuesday). Guess I'll be testing exactly how tolerant to heat my newly bought Workhorse yeast really is. Especially as the BBC weather page predicts 33C for London on Wednesday

FV's at 27.9, lets see how the Mauribrew copes with that. FV's been on for 11 days so I doubt there's too much going on but I'm still keeping an eye on it.

FV's at 27.9, lets see how the Mauribrew copes with that. FV's been on for 11 days so I doubt there's too much going on but I'm still keeping an eye on it.

I was going to brew through summer using 514/workhorse but having been reading about fermentations temps/control with a lot of monitoring I think I can get water bath+ice to work for me. I'll still use the workhorse the a water bath on my next brew just incase there's massive temp fluctuations, so the workhorse should be a little more forgiving if it is.

I haven't the room for a brewfridge so I got my eye on this:

http://www.morebeer.com/products/cool-brewing-insulated-fermentation-bag.html

Seems a more effiecient/temp controllable alternative to the waterbath

I haven't the room for a brewfridge so I got my eye on this:

http://www.morebeer.com/products/cool-brewing-insulated-fermentation-bag.html

It isn't exactly cheap for a bit of fancy insulation though, is it? Can't you make something out of a roll of insulation that would do the same and cost a quarter as much?

I was also thinking people could use a submersible chiller to really drop the temperature quite quickly. You wouldn't have to use it much to make a real difference. I suppose a lot of folk have a coiled copper pipe chiller that could be used.

EDIT:

The ice brick and dustbin cooler sounds a pretty good idea and cheap too.

EDIT:

The ice brick and dustbin cooler sounds a pretty good idea and cheap too.

Your right it's like £40 plus P&P plus any customs charges

Gonna try that first to see how much of a faff it is to control the temps consistantly. I have used the ice bath before but I didn't know as much about fermentation temps then as I do know and when I did it last time it wasn't in the middle of summer.

No brew fridge here so I've got the Mangrove Jack Workhorse yeast munching it's way through my brew in temps I probably should be avoiding.
They claim up to 32c but what it'll taste like in those temps I've no idea.

Have also got MJWH in a ordinary bitter at the mo.

At the same time I was doing a force test on my wort. Which involves putting some of the wort and some of the MJWH in a bottle and sticking it somewhere warm for a few days - in this case my boiler cupboard, which is about 31C in there.

The fermented out wort was quite fruity, although the MJWH is supposed to be a clean yeast. But at 31C that can be expected. No off flavours like diacytl or fusils though

Latest posts

Back