Map of Wild Hop locations in the UK

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you've found some down at Trent Lock, Long Eaton!.....nice, I shall have a wonder down and see if I can find them.

Edit: sorry, looks more like Attleborough Nature Reserve?

shame not everyone is sharing, thought we were a community...

If someone posts there are hops a plenty in hedgerows and climbing up trees but the location is 20 miles plus from me I wont be going, my local HBS is only a couple of miles and I can get hops more easily from them.

So to be selfish in counties a hundred or so miles from other peoples location speaks volumes for your character, remember karma is a bitch and if you spotted the hops someone else will have too, you might get there next September to find they have all been stripped by say a new micro brewery wanting to use green hops in their brews, and need every single one of them for the volumes produced. Frankly I couldn't give a stuff about any hops growing outside Cheshire anyway but its just nice to know they are out there

Was on a train going through Lewisham a couple of weeks ago.....lots of hops growing through the hedges next to the lines......

Spotted some hedgerow hops on holiday a few weeks ago, visiting the tearooms in Selworthy (Exmoor). Only slightly hoppy when split open, but it was end of August. Added them anyway.

Pop a cone open and sniff/taste the lupulin. If it's good, off you go :thumb:

I recall a thread on the forum (this one) on the subject of wild hops. As a rule of thumb, wild hops are going to be Goldings, was the conclusion.

I have no idea as to whether this is correct or not, although it seems a very reasonable start point. Since English hops, in English sort of a beer might set you back £2-£5 a 40 pint batch, delivered to your door, why, in the name of sanity, would anyone go out of their way to pick, treat, dry and then use hops in a brew that costs them 4 hours + of their life when they know zip about how much benefit they might bring?

To me, a "hop map" is an interesting diversion from actually making any beer. It is a sort of Natural History investigation, rather than anything else.

I have bought 100g of hops for as little as £1-£2 and they were perfectly fine, from the perspective of just making beer.

This could be useful for you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220911-213136_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220911-213136_Gmail.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220911-213147_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220911-213147_Gmail.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220911-213154_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220911-213154_Gmail.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220911-213203_Gmail.jpg