Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Flame Out Hops IBU Calculation?

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 19-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #11
Saisonator

Liked 127 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr259 View Post
It's an interesting quirk of using a cfc, the wort remains at 90+ c until it gets crashed to 20c. I think this is why my galaxy pale ale came out surprisingly bitter.
You can recirculate back into the boiler to get to 80c very quickly.

Old 20-11-2017, 11:47 PM   #12
Zephyr259

Liked 91 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 135

That did occur to me but I wasn't sure how quickly it would work, I'd read folks saying CFCs weren't good at chilling that way. Not sure why, could the wort be affected by getting chilled then heated again?

Orange Blossom Mead, Blackcurrant Wine

Conditioning
Belgian Brunette
Farmhouse Saison

Fermenting
Greg Hughes Bock

Planned
Barleywine Braggot, Scottish 80/-

Old 20-11-2017, 11:57 PM   #13
BeerCat

Liked 686 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 967

The cheapskate way to chill to 80c is dump the chiller in at flameout. Preferably sanitised. I have tried this once without infection.

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel

Old 21-11-2017, 12:30 AM   #14
pms67

Liked 818 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 1238

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
Definitely does add extra IBU's, have a look at Gordon Strong's Summer Rye recipe (you can Google it) and in that he adds no bittering hops only flame out hops. Being a certified BJCP Grandmaster beer judge he estimates the finished beer to be around 25 IBU. It would be difficult for any recipe building programme to forcast any IBU's which may be added after flame out and I am dissapointed that as home brewers there is no instrument available to us fo measuring the IBU of a finished beer.
There is,itโ€™s called a tongue ๐Ÿ˜‰

Old 21-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #15
Bigcol49

Liked 830 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Hi!
Two ideas to put up against the wall to see if anyone shoots:
1. If late hop additions are left until after the wort has cooled - say below 64C, or even late hopping after fermentation is complete, how will this effect the final beer (flavour, aroma)?
2. Shouldn't we be concentrating more on the IBU/OG ratio? A malty beer, like a stout, tastes less bitter than, say, an IPA, even though they both may have the same IBU.

Old 21-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #16
foxy

Liked 97 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcol49 View Post
Hi!
Two ideas to put up against the wall to see if anyone shoots:
1. If late hop additions are left until after the wort has cooled - say below 64C, or even late hopping after fermentation is complete, how will this effect the final beer (flavour, aroma)?
2. Shouldn't we be concentrating more on the IBU/OG ratio? A malty beer, like a stout, tastes less bitter than, say, an IPA, even though they both may have the same IBU.
Master of science Peter Wolfe has wrote this thesis on his study of hops, quite a few pages with some interesting findings.
file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/Wolfe_thesis.pdf

Old 21-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #17
Bigcol49

Liked 830 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
Master of science Peter Wolfe has wrote this thesis on his study of hops, quite a few pages with some interesting findings.
file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/Wolfe_thesis.pdf
Hi,
Online here: https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/downloads/jq085p11m

Old 21-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #18
Braufather

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saisonator View Post
On Brewers Friend recipe builder, flame out hops are shown to add zero IBU's to the brew.
I struggle to believe that is the case, so I wondered what percentage of utilisation others use when building a recipe.
enter them in as a hop stand instead, most people go for 10% utilisation but various factors will affect that, and as said above enter the time it takes to get to about 70C
Saisonator Likes This 
Old 21-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #19
hamster

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Agreed with most on here... Flameout/whirlpool hops will definitely impact some additional IBU IF the wort is still above the 80c mark...

It's generally accepted that any wort below 80c doesn't extract the bitterness from the hop but will still impart its aroma oils.

I added some additional hops I had lying around when the wort was 90c and the beer came out far more bitter than usual. Didn't help that I added Columbus hops which is high in Alpha Acids either. I've recently done the same with a different recipe but cooled it to 75c before adding them in and whirlpooling. That beer is spot on in term of bitterness to previous brews

Beersmith can be used to work out all of the above