Wilko Cabernet Sauvignon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Been brewing beer for a good long while now but am just getting back into wine making.
As I'd dumped all my wine gear 25-30 years ago I thought I'd get one of the starter kits from wilko. It's been on the go for a few weeks now and I've just moved the demijohn to a cool place to clear. Now I know to take the included instructions with a pinch of salt so............
Give it a good 2 to 3 weeks to clear and roughly how much sediment should I expect?
Got a Beaverdale merlot to get going once the demijohn is empty, I've been looking in the charity shops for a few but my search so far has been fruitless (a bit like the wilko kit some might say). Xmas will probably bring a couple of kits but I plan to give the Asda 3 for 3 quid red grape juice wow some time.
Got some 5l bag in box things for storage, any issues aging in these?

Cheers. Tom

Right

This has been finished and packed into a bag/box thing for nearly 3 weeks now.
Are the cheap kits usually quite sulphur'y or is it the nature of the beast with all kits?
To be fair it is drinkable but I'd rather the slight sulphur flavour wasn't there. Got a CC merlot on at the mo so hopefully that'll be a bit smoother

Cheers. Tom

Right

This has been finished and packed into a bag/box thing for nearly 3 weeks now.
Are the cheap kits usually quite sulphur'y or is it the nature of the beast with all kits?
To be fair it is drinkable but I'd rather the slight sulphur flavour wasn't there. Got a CC merlot on at the mo so hopefully that'll be a bit smoother

Cheers. Tom

Hi

After making a few cheap Wilko kits then trying the more expensive ones around the £40 mark for 30 bottles there's just no comparison. I've made some nice WOW's from fruit juice and tinned fruit but only white and rosé. The best cheap red I've made was from red grape powder (worked out about 30p a bottle) and there's thread about that on here somewhere.

I'm sure you'll be surprised by the quality of the CC Merlot your making now next to the Wilko kit.

I'm hoping so. After that's in a bag/box I've got 3 bottles of the Asda pressed grape juice to have a go at "Richard's red. I've read good things about that

Cheers. Tom

The sulphur pack that you add with the wilko kits is for 5 gallons, should never used all of it in a single gallon. Maybe time will help it disapate.

If I remember correctly there wasn't a separate sulphur pack. If there was I'd hope that muntons would have include the correct amount for the size of the kit.
It's all been drunk now anyway and I've now just started drinking the CC merlot kit. It's much nicer and doesn't have that same sulphur flavour to it.

Cheers. Tom

Latest posts

Back