Kit or Juice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlliesDad

Reaction score
Previously I have used pressed apples or shop bought juice to make my cider. Is there any point in buying a kit? What are the advantages, if any of a kit?

OD I'm also keen to hear the answers here. In the meantime, I learned that by merely leaving a Tesco "value" AJ carton open in the kitchen, the juice spontaneously ferments without any additives or fuss. I don't know if the AJ (no added preservatives) contains yeast cells or if the inoculation is from yeast in the (winemaking) environment. However for cost, convenience and taste this lazy carton juice cider is a clear winner for me!

Many members make cider from supermarket juice and not may post about making kits so maybe the difference in quality is not worth the price of the kit.

Many members make cider from supermarket juice and not may post about making kits so maybe the difference in quality is not worth the price of the kit.

Yes - turbo cider from juice is so simple and easy I struggle to conceive of the benefits of a kit. What I do know, is that my cider from apples is night and day better than both turbo cider and shop bought...... if a kit offered the chance to replicate that then it may be worth it....... but I am sure the difference with cider from apples is the very fresh and organic nature of the juice. Pre fermentation the juice is absolutely delicious also.

Having done a couple of brewbuddy cider kits, as well as cider from supermarket juice and freshly pressed apples, I can see the appeal of kits although I'm not going to go back to them unless they were heavily discounted. With pressed apples you can create the balance you want using a mix of eaters/cookers/cider/crab apples, or do what you do with supermarket juice and use stewed tea, tannins, acid, sweeteners etc... to create the right astringency, sweetness and sharpness. With kits you don't have to worry about any of this, you just cider that is crisp and with a bit of bite, which is more palatable than if you just use eaters or store-bought juice without any adjustments.

I’ve got a couple of kits because they were discounted from home brew online and I want to get back in to cider after using it to abuse my body in my teens. I’ll post about them once they’re ready.

Previously I have used pressed apples or shop bought juice to make my cider. Is there any point in buying a kit? What are the advantages, if any of a kit?
For beer kit producers are keen to highlight hops or malt etc. Yet when it comes to cider it is just concentrate from eating apples, in my opinion, because they are not making a fuss of it. They just add Malic acid, citic to balance the juice.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

In the meantime, I learned that by merely leaving a Tesco "value" AJ carton open in the kitchen, the juice spontaneously ferments without any additives or fuss.

I shop at ALDI sometimes, and I bought "High juice squash", blackcurrent. So I make up a bottle of squash ready to drink. Went to drink it later that week and it was carbonated and smelled of yeast. So I can brew alcoholic squash by accident, but try and make wine and it won't ferment :doh:

Back