just gone to bottle this ,,,,,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's your process of moving the wort to the FV? Bearing in mind if you're going to use a kettle fining, the idea is for the cold break to settle out and to be left behind in the kettle, so if you've poured all of your wort in to the FV, you've included all break material which might be what you're seeing here.

I use a counter-flow chiller so all the cold-break gunk ends up in my FV. It does actually resemble a more 'strung out' version of the OP's, but it sinks to the bottom pretty quickly and stays there.

I'd suggest the cause is too much kettle finings. 0.5 tablet is around double what you needed for a 10l batch.

See similar pictures on this thread: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=13403.0

What's your process of moving the wort to the FV? Bearing in mind if you're going to use a kettle fining, the idea is for the cold break to settle out and to be left behind in the kettle, so if you've poured all of your wort in to the FV, you've included all break material which might be what you're seeing here.
thats an intresting thought. ive not heard that before.i know someone on here said just poor the lot in,
and tbh i thought that was ok, which is why we use things like hop spiders so we can get more wort out the kettle,

Hop spiders just remove...hops..Tipping the break into the fv don't matter really it just means you get more trub at the end...in my limited experience!

Hop spiders just remove...hops..Tipping the break into the fv don't matter really it just means you get more trub at the end...in my limited experience!
ok cool.
i think this is something different, i have pored it all in before and its hasnt looked like this, this just looks like mould :oops:

thats an intresting thought. ive not heard that before.i know someone on here said just poor the lot in,
and tbh i thought that was ok

It is, it's fine. Many subscribe to the theory it actually helps fermentation.

But for me, it kind of defeats the purpose of using kettle finings (i.e. capturing the trub in the kettle). I personally skip kettle finings altogether, and transfer everything to FV.

Interesting experiment on the subject: http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

I have a small batch on the go at the moment and it looks like that. A lot (if not all) the break material went into the fv and I am wondering if the unusually cold weather at the moment is keeping it in suspension rather than dropping out relatively quickly as it usually does. I'll know once it's finished fermenting and see how much has dropped with the krausen/yeast/dry hop.

I have a small batch on the go at the moment and it looks like that. A lot (if not all) the break material went into the fv and I am wondering if the unusually cold weather at the moment is keeping it in suspension rather than dropping out relatively quickly as it usually does. I'll know once it's finished fermenting and see how much has dropped with the krausen/yeast/dry hop.

Wouldn't the cold help it drop out? I use a fridge set to 18°

I would have thought that the cold would normally help to drop it out but it is exceptionally cold at night at the moment, so I don't know if that would make it react differently. It shouldn't affect yours though as you will have a constant temperature in your brewfridge.

Has anyone chilled back in to the GF until you reach pitching temp, whirlpooled and then pumped into FV to avoid getting the cold break in the FV? Or am I being silly?

Back