The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick update on the Witbier I did using Kristallweizen yeast. Flew through the job in the usual quick time (my records show that it hit FG after 4 days, 4 days later and it's still sat on the exact same SG), took it from 1.043 down to 1.010, so a nice sessionable ABV.

A quick taste from the trial jar, and bearing in mind it's warm and flat, it's really tasty! I'm no wheat beer expert, tried about 4 commercial ones and to be honest apart from Hoegarden I found them wanting. Tastes like a rather deliciously malty wheat beer basically. I can't comment about cloves, banana etc, somebody with a palate more familiar with these esters would have to call that one. All I know is, so far it looks like it's going to be one I enjoy drinking, even my wife seemed to like her first taste, and she really dislikes wheat beers.... :thumb: Could be it doesn't have an abundance of these esters, which is why I prefer it and my wife actually likes it... :whistle:

End of the day, it's dry yeast, and does a nice job. :thumb: I'm sure you can get "better" results using a liquid yeast, but I am happy with the results.

Also using the kristalweizen. Brewing at 22c the 50% flour and pale malt went from 1065 to 1008 in about 60 hours, the pale + wheat malt 1050 to 1008 in the same time. I couldn't taste the banana in a bottle of wheat beer I bought and was trying to get it then it suddenly clicked. It was like I had to learn to do it rather than just swigging it down.

EDIT: the flour batch is really starting to clear so I took a cheeky sample with a syringe and first taste was definitely bananas. Other than that it was fairly clean so I'll definitely give it a dry hop. I've got simcoe, cascade and a little columbus and citra but I'd just pick one of those.

Last edited:
Im doing a Lagunitas clone and am using the US Pale ale yeast - been brewing since Sunday at 19C but the fridge smells like Banana, I;m very worries this is going to ruin the beer....Anyone else had a similar experience?

Shall post them for definite as this is my first brew with a Belgian yeast.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Any updates on the cmf Belgian yeast? Thinking of doing Greg Hughes patersbier using this rather than the wyeast 3787 trappist high gravity yeast recommended.

Any updates on the cmf Belgian yeast? Thinking of doing Greg Hughes patersbier using this rather than the wyeast 3787 trappist high gravity yeast recommended.
Have a Belgian Blonde sitting in the cooler which was brewed with the Belgian yeast,looks good,nice colour . Smelled very strong whilst fermenting but no nasty aromas when bottling.

Wish I had pitched a real ale onto my porter last night...I used a SO4 which is still sleeping....CML would have been off like the clappers by now!

Wish I had pitched a real ale onto my porter last night...I used a SO4 which is still sleeping....CML would have been off like the clappers by now!

The only beer I made that I haven’t enjoyed was made with S-04. I think I possibly pitched too hot but it’s put me off using it again.

For Witbier i'm going to try Belgian ale yeast. I think it will be better.

Could well be, if you want more esters anyway. The Kristallweizen definitely seems a touch on the clean side. I actually have some of the Belgian ale strain, but was planning to brew a couple of Greg Hughes Patersbiers with it (1 all Saaz, 1 Saaz and Hallertau Mittelfruh to compare). I have a fair bit of Dingemans pilsen malt to get through as bought 25k in 5k bags before I made my Saison....

I also now have 25k of Maris Otter to go at too, and 5k of Crystal. So yeah, got some brews planned. :thumb: Making the switch to leaf hops though as I am sick of struggling to get the wort out of the kettle thanks to the false bottom AND the bazooka blocking near instantly (tried putting pellets into a bag to boil, it still blocked quite rapidly, but at least not instantly.... lol).

My wife is deliberately slowing my pace though. I rely on her to help me with bottling, she washes the bottles, sanitises them and puts the caps on once full. I mix the sugar solution, rack the beer onto it then fill the bottles. It's a good system that works well. It does however give her the power to slow me down....... :lol: So I now have 2 FVs waiting, 1 with a summer ale (with citra and cascade instead of EKG and progress) and the other with the Witbier, both waiting patiently for me. :whistle:

I also have the negotiation process to go through once again with my wife, to decide whether to brew a Patersbier next, or have a go at cloning Holdens Golden Glow that she wants (slightly scarier, as the recipe is a best guess one)... Got the hops and grain for both, so just have to decide. :thumb:

Clint, CML Rea Ale would be blowing the liquid out of your blow off bottle by now!! :lol::twisted::thumb:

Aye it's all drank,the brew was fantastic with a light spicy peppery note with fruity notes and even a hint of Banana on the nose.
I've got another batch conditioning using different grains this time and may try a bottle this weekend....

Apparently if you overpitch wheat beer yeast you do not get the banana flavours. You need to underpitch but i have no idea how this applies to dried yeast though. Next time i do one going to use liquid and not make a starter. Last one i did (not cml think it was danstar) fermented super clean and clear and has very little taste. Not for me but liked by the others.

Apparently if you overpitch wheat beer yeast you do not get the banana flavours. You need to underpitch but i have no idea how this applies to dried yeast though. Next time i do one going to use liquid and not make a starter. Last one i did (not cml think it was danstar) fermented super clean and clear and has very little taste. Not for me but liked by the others.

Use one pack in a 5 gallon batch and you are effectively under pitching.

Could well be, if you want more esters anyway. The Kristallweizen definitely seems a touch on the clean side. I actually have some of the Belgian ale strain, but was planning to brew a couple of Greg Hughes Patersbiers with it (1 all Saaz, 1 Saaz and Hallertau Mittelfruh to compare). I have a fair bit of Dingemans pilsen malt to get through as bought 25k in 5k bags before I made my Saison....

I also now have 25k of Maris Otter to go at too, and 5k of Crystal. So yeah, got some brews planned. :thumb: Making the switch to leaf hops though as I am sick of struggling to get the wort out of the kettle thanks to the false bottom AND the bazooka blocking near instantly (tried putting pellets into a bag to boil, it still blocked quite rapidly, but at least not instantly.... lol).

My wife is deliberately slowing my pace though. I rely on her to help me with bottling, she washes the bottles, sanitises them and puts the caps on once full. I mix the sugar solution, rack the beer onto it then fill the bottles. It's a good system that works well. It does however give her the power to slow me down....... [emoji38] So I now have 2 FVs waiting, 1 with a summer ale (with citra and cascade instead of EKG and progress) and the other with the Witbier, both waiting patiently for me. :whistle:

I also have the negotiation process to go through once again with my wife, to decide whether to brew a Patersbier next, or have a go at cloning Holdens Golden Glow that she wants (slightly scarier, as the recipe is a best guess one)... Got the hops and grain for both, so just have to decide. :thumb:

Clint, CML Rea Ale would be blowing the liquid out of your blow off bottle by now!! [emoji38]:twisted::thumb:
Get your missus to help put together the recipe for the Blonde showing her the colour scale,types of grains and hops and even put the grains together when measuring and see how it changes her motivation....n

I've used CML yeast a couple of times (successfully) and was just wondering if in future if I could pitch the yeast in dry into the wort? I know it says to hydrate it with a cup of luke warm water, but would pitching it in dry affect the yeast working properly?

I've used CML yeast a couple of times (successfully) and was just wondering if in future if I could pitch the yeast in dry into the wort? I know it says to hydrate it with a cup of luke warm water, but would pitching it in dry affect the yeast working properly?

I pitch it dry straight onto the wort - it just takes a little longer before a krausen starts to form.

It may be a bit slower because a larger proportion of the yeast die when not rehydrated in water first.

I pitch it dry straight onto the wort - it just takes a little longer before a krausen starts to form.

It may be a bit slower because a larger proportion of the yeast die when not rehydrated in water first.

OK thanks folks, I reckon I'll do a little experiment with my next brew. I'll pitch it dry.

Just sampled the first bottle of my American Amber with CML US Pale yeast. Tasting great and nicely carbed after 13 days however the final 3rd of the bottle is a cloudy, yeasty mess at the moment! Hopefully that's just a a matter of time compacting it down.

Latest posts

Back