American Pale Ale extract recipe / advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. I'm going to brew 2 more kits ( the Bruferm Triple I've got in, and a Brupacks Linthwaite Light that I've yet to buy), then I'm moving on to extract brewing.

I've got a couple of questions regarding this;

a) I'll be using the stove top rather than a dedicated boiler. I've got a massive stock pot available (well, 15l). Am I correct in assuming I'll be OK to steep / boil in this, say a 10l wort after all malts are added, and make it up to 20l in the FV with de-chlorinated cold water, or do I really need to get a 25l+ stockpot for a 20l brew length?

b) Can anyone point me in the direction of a fairly simple American Pale Ale recipe that would be good for a beginner? One that uses LME would be good to get me going.

Cheers!

jjsh said:
Right. I'm going to brew 2 more kits ( the Bruferm Triple I've got in, and a Brupacks Linthwaite Light that I've yet to buy), then I'm moving on to extract brewing.

I've got a couple of questions regarding this;

a) I'll be using the stove top rather than a dedicated boiler. I've got a massive stock pot available (well, 15l). Am I correct in assuming I'll be OK to steep / boil in this, say a 10l wort after all malts are added, and make it up to 20l in the FV with de-chlorinated cold water, or do I really need to get a 25l+ stockpot for a 20l brew length?

b) Can anyone point me in the direction of a fairly simple American Pale Ale recipe that would be good for a beginner? One that uses LME would be good to get me going.

Cheers!

You're fine brewing in a 15l pot for now, you have to be aware of it in your hop utilisation calculations but apart from that it is no problem. Here is a link to a trivial extract APA recipe which was my first extract brew. I made the recipe on a set up almost identical to your's and it turned out really well. I'd suggest ignoring the tiny bit of HH as they where just some hops I had left over.

http://hopville.com/recipe/274996/ameri ... loudripper

Thanks for that, it's exactly what I was looking for. :cheers:
When you say;

you have to be aware of it in your hop utilisation calculations

If the wort gets diluted from, say, 10l to 20l post boil, can't you just use the same amount of hops that you would with a 20l boil then, or is it something to do with timings, etc?

jjsh said:
Thanks for that, it's exactly what I was looking for. :cheers:
When you say;

you have to be aware of it in your hop utilisation calculations

If the wort gets diluted from, say, 10l to 20l post boil, can't you just use the same amount of hops that you would with a 20l boil then, or is it something to do with timings, etc?

The amount of bitterness you get from the hops in the boil is dependent on the gravity of the wort you are boiling. Since you are boiling all your extract in a smaller volume of water you will have a significantly higher gravity during the boil than if you where boiling at full volume. This means you will need more hops to get the same bitterness.

Most brewing calculators will take this into account for you if you tell them your boil volume and your final volume so it isn't a major issue, just something to be aware of.

One of the forum sponsors 'brew' do a great recipe pack called way to amarrilo. I tried this as my first recipe just order pack and follow recipe. Its great as it simplyfies things and also lowers the cost as they put the precise amounts of hops in instead of having to buy 100grm packs. There are several different recipe packs on there.
Hope this helps :cheers:

jonboymentalhealth said:
One of the forum sponsors 'brew' do a great recipe pack called way to amarrilo. I tried this as my first recipe just order pack and follow recipe. Its great as it simplyfies things and also lowers the cost as they put the precise amounts of hops in instead of having to buy 100grm packs. There are several different recipe packs on there.
Hope this helps :cheers:
I've got a Way to Amarillo pack to do later this month. How did yours turn out? If it's to my taste I intend to do several batches and leave them conditioning until the summer.

How hoppy is it? This is what concerns me as I'm not a real hop-head...

I thought it turned out great, no problem with the amount of hops. Its definately worth leaving in the bottle for a while tho, as it seemed to lack a good head and proper carbonation for a while good luck... :thumb:

Latest posts

Back