Alco~Coke

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it be possible to substitute some of the sugar with lowitz cherry syrup? I love cherry coke so recon an alcoholic version would be even better :D

Was thinking similar but using vanilla to create a vanilla coke! What would be the best way to do this?

Priming with cherry is a great idea and think ur ratios might just be perfect as the cherry Stuff is very sugary!! I don't know the figures off by heart but ur looking at 50g of sugar to prime and in 100ml of the raspberry stuff there is 64g so ....

64 / 100 = 0.64gram of sugar in 1ml of raspberry

How many ml needed to make 50g of priming sugar
50g sugar needed / 0.64g= 78ml of syrup needed all together

200ml of coke
80ml of cherry syrup ;)
Nice ratio not to cherriery

Please check and double check my figures but that's what I'd do!

I have added rum essence to this brew and it wasn't nice at all!
And therefore I would think the same would happen with vanilla essence
Therefore I would think about trying vannila paste but I wouldn't have any idea how much ou would need!

I'd guess if u wanna do this get a bottle of coke and pour a pint and add a few grams at a time tasting after each till u find a pleasant vannila kick
Then work out how big ur batch of brew will be in pints and times the number u just came up with by how many pints u are making!

Goood luck :)

Good idea, I will update when I try it out! Also liking the idea of adding cherry :thumb:

Cheers for the feedback second2none, would priming with cherry be the best way to do it or could you replace some of the sugar for fermenting with syrup? Pretty new to all this so not too sure which gives would give the best result.

I would add it at the end to prime it coz 80ml to 200ml coke would give a suttle cherry flavour without overpowering. Ppl say priming with juice helps flavour but I have never really done that only coz I'm lazy and never have any of the orignal left after a week or so with my girlfriend drinking it!

Either way is goin to work but if it was me u add the coke last in this brew so add the cherry then as well and no priming sugar!!

Ps all the numbers I have u were for the raspberry! There may be more or less sugar in the cherry one!! If u want me to work out home much u will need to prime with the cherry I will need you to look at the back of the cherry bottle and tell me how many grams of sugar per 100ml of cherry!!

And maybe it will help anyone else wanting cherry coke :drunk:

Question guys;

How long did yours take to ferment and clear?

Its gonna be two weeks tomorrow and its still bubbling away (although not as rigorous as it was the first week).

Also, did everyone add the cola syrup post ferment, prime and bottle or did you rack to a secondary for a while prior to adding the syrup and priming?

Cheers,

Beans.

A normal ferment will take a week or bit longer, this takes more time and is best to keep it as warm as u can to get the most efficient ferment.
The brew will clear pretty fast once fermentation slows but to help it you can rack into a clean demijohn :) to end the dieing throws of the yeasties and hurry things up a tiny bit

Mine clear before fermentation ends did u use dex or white sugar, white sugar takes a little longer to clear

Don't add the syrup till the last minute as there is no need to put it in any sooner, it won't improve so don't worry till u bottle :)

Thanks second2none, once it looks to have settled down and I get a good hydrometer reading, I'll be racking to secondary and adding syrup literally prior to bottling.

Hygrometers don't like this brew, well mine doesn't
To strong to be classed as wine so gave false results as it basically just stood on top of the sugar but would love to know ur readings if u wouldn't mind posting
:) good luck mate!

Primed with 25g of caster sugar and I added a lid full of concentrate until I was happy with the colour and taste.

Here's how clear it was prior to bottling;

2j4dpih.jpg

Bottled;

b71m6s.jpg

Some snazzy shots;

23uejo8.jpg

dqu6f.jpg

Hahaa nice pictures very sneaky putting it in coke bottles
How did you find the taste?

I see you drink a lot of coke how did u find it compares?

second2none said:
Hahaa nice pictures very sneaky putting it in coke bottles
How did you find the taste?

I see you drink a lot of coke how did u find it compares?

Taste was a bit artificial, but its dependent on how strong you want it and its never gonna be precisely like Coke Cola; but very close.

It definitely is VERY easy to drink :party:

I'm definately going to give this a try. I usually keep my temperatures steady with a submersible aquarium heater and most of my ferments finish between 7 to 10 days. The temperature is totally adjustable.

Great recipe S2N :thumb:

Edit:- I only use the heater during the cold months

I've just made a 25 litre / 5.5 gallon of sugar wash.

5 kg of white sugar
1/4 tsp of Epsom Salts (this kick starts the yeast and stops it from clumping together)
5 tsp yeast nutrient
5 tsp citric acid
4 tsp of Dried active Bakers Yeast ( made a starter with the yeast, 1/2 tsp citric acid and 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient)

I always use bakers yeast for sugar washes because I know it will ferment to 0.990 / 0.992
This is the first time I've used powdered nutrients, normally i use tomato puree, but the wash needs to be somewhere really cold after fermentation for it to clear. So I have used the powder this time.

The starting SG is 1.075, after fermentation the abv should be 11.5 %. I could get the percentage up to 18% if I step feed it with extra sugar. The 11.5% is ample for me.

I may dilute to 5.5% which will give me 50 litres or I may have it a bit stronger, I'll see how it turns out after I have added the Diet Cola Concentrate.

The outside temperature is only 20c and my wash is 19c, I've place an aquarium heater into the wash to keep the temp up to 28c, usually i only use the heater during the colder months, but with using less nutrients I decided to use the heater.

I'll keep you posted

I've been making this started a month a go at a steady 22 degrees. Occasion bubble in the airlock but its still very cloudy. Used a standard wine yeast. Any ideas other than adding finings??

Back