Alco~Coke

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive just tasted the fully finished article and im very impressed. The bubbles were nice and small a bit like champs.

The coke flavouring is the greatest, but the principle is fantastic.

Ive had a brainwave and will be using the aclo-water in another concoction.

if i make the alcowater with as much sugar as possible giving the highest possible alcohol content i can use a GIN flavouring and add sloes to make a weak sloe gin.

the only problem with making sloe gin is that a bottle of gin is £15.00. If you make it with the alco water then its free, although half the strength.

Thanks again for the recipe. I will keep the recipe alive.

MM

Thanks for the possitive feedback :drunk:

The alco-water as you called is has a posh name "Kilju" or Sugar wine

And I've messed around and come out with something like the VODKAt ect
If you use Dextrose instead of sugar you dont get as many off flavours as u do with white sugar
I found u can get dextrose from morissons for £1.20 per 500g box (its with the sugars)

I fermented about 800g of dex in 5L of water and threw in some yeeast nutient ofther wise it takes ages. But the tip is once that has fermented out you can add some more and more and more every few days to push the percent up and adding it little by little means when the yeasties do finally give up then ur drink isnt stupidly sweet. It took a while but i think was worth it in my spare DJ its nice mixed with stuff and ended up about 17% and a new way to get the party started :whistle:

I have never used the concentrat kits but think that it might be a little raw to drink straight
and unlike most brews its taste doesnt improve with age!

Anyway :D Dont let me stop you! I hope you've got it well under way by now!
GOODLUCK AND LOOK FORWRD TO HEARING UR RESULTS!

so you reckon you can get upto about 17% from normal "super yeast"?

have you ever tried the high strength yeasts that are about?

MM

They are a little pricey for me and you have to start messing around with carbon filters and such,
I only really did this little experiment to see how it turned out and was superised with the outcome.
The turbo yeasts, I think only get up to 22 - 28 % which to me isnt worth it when I can force feed my wilkos cheapest yeasts into the high teens, I have toyed about with the idea of freeze reducing it to an even higher proof but people tend to have mixed views on that... but there again it seemed nice enough in the jedar gin i made last year.

The key to getting your strong wine yeast to a high percent is dont over work the yeast 100g's a time and let it bubble out ha and a little tip for anyone planning on giving it a go... leave some space at the top of ur DJ it made me feel awful having to poor some of my brew away to get more sugar in after I looked after it soo well :D

Right so if i make my kilju as before with 800g of sugar i can just keep adding more 100g at a time after every few days.
i had a quick look at calculating the abv from this method and all i need to do is take the gravity reading before and after each sugar addition.

so 1080 to 1020 = SG1 (60 pt drop)
add 100g
new 1030 to 1020 drop = SG2 (10pt drop)

total drop = 70pts and so on...

I worked on the idea that dextrose makes as much alcohol as sugar gram for gram
and i ended up using three 500g boxes of dex per 5L, but there was some sugar left in solution so
its max strenght would have been 17%. didnt really know how it would turm out so i just left it going
and it did take a while but didnt really pay much attention to it, just left it to do its own thing and if i saw it satopped bubling just gave it another few heaped tabled spoons ....

I dont really take hyro reading anymore ... just work out using an online calculator ....
use google and search for "sugar wash calculator" the admins dont let me link directly to that site :whistle:

Turbo can get to 20%, it takes a bit longer though.
If you want more, jsut make more!
Thats the thing really, an extra 5% is alot of work, it takes longer, costs more etc, when you could just make and extra litre or 2!

Hello All i am new to brewing Alco-Coke and wondered if :

After main fermentation has taken place to rack off into another dj with a campden tablet in it for a week. would this kill off any ramaining yeast and stop secondary fermentation if i were to use a non diet flavouring. or am i thinking to much !

yeah nice try I did think of this the other week, but camdon tablets dont kill all the yeastie, it will quiet them down for a while but they will come back...

what you need is to look at ...

http://www.ehow.com/how_5627060_stop-fermentation-wine.html

I dont make many wines but the proccess is the same for what ur trying to do.
I did a brew and just used 1 camdon tablet for 5L and ened up with explouding bottles!

good luck :) and its a good idea but I didnt post this method because I thought too many people would just say ...
"Why not add the soda when ur ready to drink it" :D :drunk:

i gotta try this recipe but rather than alco-coke i think i will go for the cranberry and raspberry flavour. perhaps this will be something SWMBO will drink and swing her in favour of my home brewing,

Nice thread i was thinking about this the other night and think i may try this with some syrups i can get here AKA wicked type flavours?
Just out of interest as i have not seen an amount anywhere - how much of the concentrate do you add to the gallon or do some of you just add a dash to the brew on bottling or opening - ie like a mixer shot?
Thanks
Scream
:hmm:

The recipey is on the first page.

Basically you make the alcohol base (sugar wash, kilju what ever you want to call it) made up to about 10% then on bottling day you add another 4.5L of water giving u round about 10L @ 5%
I did it this way because it saves u havng to devote two demijohns to the experient ;)
Then you add about 200mls of syrup to the 10L, now I found that to be good to my taste and I have tried a few different combinations. 200ml is just under half a bottle of coke syrup.

They have started selling this stuff in Asda now. :drunk:

this is a recipe I will definately be trying at some point! I checked the soda stream website last week and I'm pretty sure the syrup cost about 3 or 4 quid per bottle and can be bought direct from them too

Do you think you could do a similar thing using cool-aid? I have quite a few packets of this, all sorts of flavours. Once I get back from work I will have a look to see what ive got, and also see what the ingredients contain. Might be worth an experiment :hmm:

For those that haven't heard of this, it's an American drink you mix up from a powdered packet with sugar and water, bought mine on fleabay couple of years ago for next to nothing

Do you think you could do a similar thing using cool-aid? I have quite a few packets of this, all sorts of flavours. Once I get back from work I will have a look to see what ive got, and also see what the ingredients contain. Might be worth an experiment :hmm:

For those that haven't heard of this, it's an American drink you mix up from a powdered packet with sugar and water, bought mine on fleabay couple of years ago for next to nothing

It strikes me that if you normally drink your spirits with a mixer the ABV in-the-glass is going to be 22% or less anyway, so ...
kliju + spirits flavouring + mixer flavouring = good approximation to what you'd normally drink.
Homebrew shops do spirit flavour packs, Sodastream do mixer flavour packs.
Think I'll have a go at a gallon of gin&tonic for the missus and a gallon of rum&coke for me.
Though to be honest I normally drink my spirits straight...

Yeah think of it more of an alcopop than a spirt!

And i dont have a clue how the coolade will turn out but give it a goo... it could be fantastic ;)

I know this is old, but only just found the koolaid over christmas. It's a powdered mix, I will give one demijohn a go, trying to work out if I should throw sugar water and yeast together, or ferment sugar water then add before bottling (if its.any good.that is)

Ive got one of these on now but ive used 10g of youngs desert/high alcohol yeast. yeast nutrients 4kg of sugar an 21 litres of water its been on now for 2 weeks an the start sg was 70 and its gone down to 50 can any one tell me what the alcohol content is please im goin to keep it on for another 2 weeks. thanks

Back