Strawberry Ribena Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozzy

Reaction score
Hi

Can someone please tell me how you do strawberry ribena wine and whats it taste like (is it like ribena etc)
i have seen many people said they have made, fermenting or plan to make it.. Thanks :)

I have it fermenting and I have stolen a few samples. This is how I made it....

Code:
1L Strawberry Ribena
1L Cranberry Juice
1 spoon Yeast Neautriant
1 Cup of strong black tea
Yeast
~500g Sugar depending how you want it to turn out.

I has a sort of back ground taste of the Strawberry Ribena but I dont think I would have been able to pick it out not knowing it was allready in there. I think its a nice allround taste with the Cranberry but my friend who I let taste some prefers this recipie but with Blackcurrent Ribena as I have that on aswell.

Hope this helps

Marrsy

I never used it, I work on the theory if its made from fruit and over 8% then it's a wine :p

I understand most if not all WOW variants require some form of grape juice though.

Cheers

Marrsy

1ltr bottle of strawberry ribena
1 teaspoon of citric acid or juice from one lemon.
1 sachet of winemaking yeast.
1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient.
680g of sugar.

Method

Empty bottle of Ribena into glass one gallon demijon (sterilised).
Top up to the shoulder of the demijon with cold water.
Pour Contents into large add sugar and boil
Wait for it to cool add citric acid and stir
Pour into demijohn
add yeast and yeast nutrient.
Shake, Fit airlock and leave.
When fermentationis ova 2/3 weeks stop ,1camden tab add finnings and backsweeten with strawberry ribena ( I used 150ml)

this 1 is very nice too and really tastes of ribena :D

Just curious as to you boiling your apple juice in the method. I have only been boiling the ribena it's self to get rid of nasty preservatives and disolve sugar and then adding the apple juice to help it cool quicker.

Does boiling the apple juice effect taste or anything ?

Cheers

Marrsy

yes just i use the ribena im not sure of the % but the hydro thingy at the end read 990 i guess some1 may know how too work it out im still very new to this lark :mrgreen:

oh and incase u missed my post on the sale board ... ribena is £1.38 a ltr in tescos till the 26th sept :D

blinkey said:
yes just i use the ribena im not sure of the % but the hydro thingy at the end read 990 i guess some1 may know how too work it out im still very new to this lark :mrgreen:

Did you take a reading at the start ?
Code:
Starting reading - End reading = X
X / 7.36 = Y
Move the decimal point of Y a few times till you get something sensible.

That's what I use and its close enough in my book :)

Cheers

Marrsy

blinkey said:
0.990 on its own doesn't tell you anything, except that you've got a dry wine.

You say you used 1 litre of strawberry Ribena (which contains 546g of sugar if you've used the right stuff) and added 680g, giving 1226g in total. If that's in 1 gallon it would have given an Original Gravity of 1.098

1098 - 990 = 108

108 ÷ 7.36 = 14.7% abv :cheers: :drunk:

Thanks moley that was where i thought it was when i looked through your posts on the subject but being new i dont wanna look silly saying i recon its between 14 and 15 %.. only to be so wrong and then having to go back and read all the forum posts again lol

blinkey said:
1ltr bottle of strawberry ribena
1 teaspoon of citric acid or juice from one lemon.
1 sachet of winemaking yeast.
1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient.
680g of sugar.

Method

Empty bottle of Ribena into glass one gallon demijon (sterilised).
Top up to the shoulder of the demijon with cold water.
Pour Contents into large add sugar and boil
Wait for it to cool add citric acid and stir
Pour into demijohn
add yeast and yeast nutrient.
Shake, Fit airlock and leave.
When fermentationis ova 2/3 weeks stop ,1camden tab add finnings and backsweeten with strawberry ribena ( I used 150ml)

this 1 is very nice too and really tastes of ribena :D

blinkey... I am a little confused..

1) you put ribena and water to shoulder? is that 5 litre or 4.45/4.5 litre mark (i have a PET one) and do you top up to 5 litre ?? :wha:

2) you then put all this into a saucepan and add sugar and boil?? I dont think i have a saucepan big enough.. would putting the ribena and sugar into saucepan and boil, then after cooling add to PET and top up work just aswel??

3) do I boil the citric acid or add it when its cooled?

4) what about using pectolase?

sorry all these questions but i want to start one tomorrow

Thanks

mozzy said:
blinkey... I am a little confused..

1) you put ribena and water to shoulder? is that 5 litre or 4.45/4.5 litre mark (i have a PET one) and do you top up to 5 litre ?? :wha:

2) you then put all this into a saucepan and add sugar and boil?? I dont think i have a saucepan big enough.. would putting the ribena and sugar into saucepan and boil, then after cooling add to PET and top up work just aswel??

3) do I boil the citric acid or add it when its cooled?

4) what about using pectolase?

sorry all these questions but i want to start one tomorrow

Thanks

Try this thread for a slightly different version, check out the Ribena Wine link.

In responce to your questions.....

1 - Fill it upto the shoulder of your fermenting container, doesnt matter what volume of liquid it is, its just to give you a little head space incase your yeast kicks up and doesnt fill your airlock, when it calms down you can top it up a bit more.

2 - I put the Ribena in the pan to boil off its praservatives and while its boiling I dissolve the sugar into it then let it cool to room temp and add it to the container.

3 - Add when cooled.

4 - Add at the same time as Citric Acid.

Hope it helps :cheers:

i have started strawberry ribena following Blinkeys method on my original post

1ltr straw ribena
680g sugar

having looked at the sugar content the ribena is:

27.8g per 250ml = 111.2 (it is the proper stuff and NOT the no added sugar one)
add 680g sugar
=
791g in total

is this enough to make a wine thats around 12% or do i need to add wgj (which will take it to 959g)??

I will be fermenting out then back sweetening (not sure how to do it) with more straw ribena to dry-med....any suggestions how i can achieve this and how much ribena to use (i will stabilise and ct it)
and do i back sweeten before adding finings or after?

Thanks in advance

ahhh read the bottle wrong.. it says its 27.8g when diluted per 250ml... 20 servings in a bottle...

reading was about 1.096 (just under the 4.5 litre mark.. will top up to 5 litre in few days)

so will make it to what moley estimated 14.7% :shock:

will it be less when ive back sweetened it???

It will be less as your increasinve the overall volume of liquid with a non-alcoholic drink.

Are you wanting to get from 14.7% down to 12% ? I have a equasion that is supposed to work out how much you would have to add to get down to 12% I can crunch some number quickly if thats the Target Alcohol your after ?

Latest posts

Back