Capturing yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dronfieldbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Eh up,

having a bit of fun tonight, Sainsburies have Fullers IPA bottle conditioned on offer 4 bottles for £5.

I have a litre of wort left over from this afternoons fun and games, so I am having a go at capturing this yeast.I have seen on the forums that other members have done this to great effect, does anyone know which yeast it is? I believe it to be WLP002.

Apparantly it only needs 2 bottles worth of stuff in a bit of wort to get going, I think as bolt and braces I better drink all 4. Its lovely stuff...

Yes its supposed to be WLP002. Captured fullers a few times cracking yeast I used 2 bottles don't think 4 will harm

I have fullers bengal lancer yeast on the go now ,one bottle first , the last inch or so with malt extract , yeast nutrient , vit B , citric , and glucose in a half size DJ under airlock . After a week or so added another end-of-bottle and more of the wort mix . Its working well and leaving a nice gel sediment . I shall continue to feed fresh wort when needed until the DJ is full then split up the sediment into seperate bottles .

If I can get it going with one bottle Im sure that the four you have ,Rob ,will do it a treat mate :thumb:

shocker said:
I have fullers bengal lancer yeast on the go now ,one bottle first , the last inch or so with malt extract , yeast nutrient , vit B , citric , and glucose in a half size DJ under airlock . After a week or so added another end-of-bottle and more of the wort mix . Its working well and leaving a nice gel sediment . I shall continue to feed fresh wort when needed until the DJ is full then split up the sediment into seperate bottles .

If I can get it going with one bottle Im sure that the four you have ,Rob ,will do it a treat mate :thumb:

All fffkin 4 drunk in the name of research...hic --- burrrrrpp. Its sat in a litre of wort of 1040 in tupperware on my desk.

I am trying to reculture my wlp001 at the same time.

Also have a cracking yeast from Thwaites of Blackburn, currently sat in 30 litres of 1054 Dronfield best bitter

The yeast from Bengal Lancer is great, used it for AG#1. Fermented nice & quick and sticks to the bottom of the bottle so well after secondary that you can pretty much pour it like there's no sediment and still get a clear pint.

Mine is certainly giving a nice,solid well gelled layer so I have high hopes for it .

Its a very lively yeast , the first bottle I did , I didnt have a DJ spare so I put it in a beer bottle and crown capped it til the next day . Stupidly I left a lot of head space so when I opened it the contents hit the ceiling and myself with a swift velocity . I only managed to save a tiny bit of froth from that . Even so , added to wort it started well and did fine as long as it was kept warm and fed . Like most living things , I suppose !

Now with a second bottles sediment its really going some . Rob - you say its in a tupperware....how are you dealing with the CO2 coming off and keeping the air out ? I dont want you to have an explosion like mine from using a sealed vessel ..... :whistle:

Its sat in a tupaware container with the lid not quite snapped on, its on my dest in the office so that i can keep an eye on it. No movement as yet though, saying that i only pitched it at 9:00pm last night, I can tell you that banging down 4 bottles of Fullers IPA gives you an emense appitite. I was chewing through a large Donna kebab at midnight, Chili sauce etc. My farts are rancid this morning!! :shock:

Oh dear Baz get a grip :wha: when I saw the title 'Capturing Yeast' I had a picture of someone running around with a net and a stick :oops: :roll: not even had a lunchtime snifter either Doh :lol:

I've got it, :D
Never mind the yeast bit, the drinking is very good, just had one and the second is poured, it is Saturday night, Chinese take away planed, Mrs. S. is on night off. ;) :lol:
So I have just put it in a flask, with DME no sterilising, this is only a trial. :D
S

Whahayyy. We have movement, both in the Fullers and with my recapture of WLP001 however the brilliant Thwaites yeast that I pitched on Friday into 30 litres of Dronfield Best Bitter, no movement at all :( .

I am now tempted to put the recaptured WLP001 into the Best Bitter by top croping this into a starter and repitching later this afternoon. :pray:

What say you all

My lot is starting to clear a bit now , the half size DJ is half full (not half empty !) so theres room for at least two more feeds of fresh wort yet .

Who knows , if Im not ready to do my first AG soon I may keep it going into a full size DJ ....this yeast growing could take over from brewing as a hobby , you know ! :party:

My attempt is coming along nicely, I used 200 ml of water and 20 grams of DME. Only a trial, so no sterilising etc.

6668559953_6fefee4115_b.jpg

Lots of activity here. :D

6668560775_fabb26fe98_b.jpg

So how much of this yeast do you need for a brew and when you say "keep feeding" do you not increase the chance of infections. Is it not best to boil up and cool enough at the beginning :shock:

S

quote "So how much of this yeast do you need for a brew and when you say "keep feeding" do you not increase the chance of infections. Is it not best to boil up and cool enough at the beginning" unquote

You know , that is exactly what occurred to me last night when I gave Fuller his weekly feed . Since the yeast needs oxygen to grow I gave it a good swirl and poured the new wort in splash-y-ly (is that even a word ?) ....all the time worrying about what airborne wild and woolly yeasties and assorted beasties I could be introducing . But oxygen it must have . Conundrum .

I have been looking into oxygenating kit - I already have air pumps and compressors and hose and fittings from aquaria . I looked at syringe filters that are used in labs that have membranes that filter out viruses etc (pretty good) but they were quite small and about £15 a pack - couldnt find them individually priced . So Im back to my original idea of making an inline filter with a piece of HEPA element from the poundshop in a tiny tupperware or film pot with hot glued hose barbs . The only expense is a new ceramic airstone cos I dropped the one I had and broke it :( . I could bore a hole through the bung in the DJ and a length of hose sealed in with a shut off valve so it didnt need to be connected up all the time .

Now before anyone gets upset , yes , I know this is all very silly and a waste of time , but....Im enjoying myself , and thats the main thing . :grin:

Springer said:
My attempt is coming along nicely, I used 200 ml of water and 20 grams of DME. Only a trial, so no sterilising etc.

6668559953_6fefee4115_b.jpg

Lots of activity here. :D

6668560775_fabb26fe98_b.jpg

So how much of this yeast do you need for a brew and when you say "keep feeding" do you not increase the chance of infections. Is it not best to boil up and cool enough at the beginning :shock:

S

Mine went a bit more than that:--

IMAG0250.jpg

I decided in the end to bang the propagated WLP002 from the Fullers IPA into it instead of the WLP001 that I was culturing up. ( I will use that in the next brew this Friday, Dronfield Pale with a job lot of Nelson

Here it is after 36 hours, It is going like the clappers in a big way, the head of foam musty be about 2 inches thick and its still climbing towards the top of FV1

IMAG0249.jpg

Top work , Rob :thumb:

Makes it all worthwhile . How did you use what you had cultured ? Just bung it straight in the wort or make a starter ? Use it all ? Or what ? Enquiring minds want to know ! :wha:

shocker said:
Top work , Rob :thumb:

Makes it all worthwhile . How did you use what you had cultured ? Just bung it straight in the wort or make a starter ? Use it all ? Or what ? Enquiring minds want to know ! :wha:

The Fullers jobby:-

I swirled the bottom of the 4 bottles of IPA into a steralised tupperware container with a snap on lid together with about 1/2 litre of boiled and cooled wort, as soon as movement started on the surface, bunged the lot into the FV that had 30 litres of wort in it, used a bit of preboiled water for the stuff that was clung to the bottom of the tuperware.

Then crossed fingers, few bubbles started late yesterday then when back from a few calls was greeted to this. It has crept up a bit further since then.

The WLP001:-

I was given a bit of WLP001 by a local micro brewer, used it for a brew and then top cropped and put it in the fridge.

I have junked a couple of jars of it due to it smelling a bit ripe, so the last jar that was OK, I bunged some new work in it and top cropped from that. It smells spot on, is doing what WLP001 should do so should be ok in my opinion for Fridays brew

Excellent Rob, I know now why I have a small one. :(
I only used one bottle, drank two but wanted to know what one would do. :) Maybe I could grow it ;)
How big is that brew that you started with the four bottles, just starting to work you say ?
Not being picky here, just want to get it right, so is that "stuff" in a jar the contents of the tupperware box?

Hawks, top tip, as the bikers would say, even if you don't do the yeast thing, the Bengal Lancer at the price is worth the trip. I'm off for some more, for the yeast cultivation you understand. :lol:
The good news for me, is that I have a couple of bottles left, Rob did all his in one session. :eek: :lol:
S

Latest posts

Back