Capturing yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I pitched a a few spoon fulls of yeast and a new thin yeast head has formed that was 8 hours ago. Are you saying this one is for the drain? nothing else I can do?

Will do, had a little air lock activity this am. I am a bit worried about the final bottle of yeast I made up in my fridge now as this has happened. Could I make a starter with this and build up the yeast again before pitching?

Just had a read through this, very interesting stuff :thumb:

Am I right in thinking that if you have constant homebrew on the go you will have an endless supply of yeast? Is there any way to actually store the yeast? EG, if I was to capture some from a couple of bottles of old rosie would I be able to start it off in a jar, get it growing and then stick it in the fridge for a later date?

Look forward to giving this a go :D

Ok, 2nd brew down to 1010. Back to the 1st brew, this was barrelled + 4 bottles. The beer has been this way for 6 days. Picked up a bottle this am to see if any yeast was showing at the bottom. Indeed there was. I was stunned to see how clear the bottles looked after such a short time. I just couldn't help myself and popped one in the fridge for half an hour and the opened feeling guilty that I was wasting a bottle, boy was I wrong this a cracking pint already. Crystal clear, nicely carbonated too. Prob the most professional beer I have created. Its going to get even better over the coming weeks. The barrelled beer is way behind in clarity and taste, why is this? I am not sure how much to put down to the yeast but boy what a learning curve..

Latest posts

Back