Capturing yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to YouTube and look at strongandco. Read it may be Chris who used to be on the forum, but his video shows how to recover yeast

Sainsburys near me had sold out of BL on the weekend but were expecting more in... Must pop back and try this, have split a WhiteLabs yeast before now and it all looks pretty similar. :thumb:

Anyone know how stable the Fullers Yeast is, can you go multiple generations ?

Hawks said:
Sainsburys near me had sold out of BL on the weekend but were expecting more in... Must pop back and try this, have split a WhiteLabs yeast before now and it all looks pretty similar. :thumb:

Anyone know how stable the Fullers Yeast is, can you go multiple generations ?

You probably can, it glues itself to the bottom of the FV which is a problem, rinsing it from trub is a bit of a nightmare..You might be better grabing some of the ***** at the bottom of the fv, shoving it in the fridge and make sure you brew within a week or so, using that trub..

For the record, this is a brilliant yeast to get hold of..I have brewed Dronfield Best Bitter with it. Its now in a keg and tastes out of this world, like a different beer altogether, the hops have been brought forward, the roast of the malts....In a word...Superb!!!

I have a bottle of Fullers Bengal lancer in the garage. Will bottle it all the next time I use this yeast, purely for storage....

Just been reading this again Rob, where does the tea pot fit into the plot. :? :lol:

I am about to hopefully do a "nice" lager for "ladies" and summer drinking, anyone know of a good yeast, recoverable from a bottle.

S

Springer said:
Just been reading this again Rob, where does the tea pot fit into the plot. :? :lol:

I am about to hopefully do a "nice" lager for "ladies" and summer drinking, anyone know of a good yeast, recoverable from a bottle.

S

Kettles always on at chez nouz... :thumb:

S[/quote]

Hopback Summer lightening....or Sierra Nevada (said to be WLP001). Saying that I have a brewday tomorrow at Barlow Brewery. They won the Champion Beer of Chesterfield in a recent beer festival, beating Thornbridge, the Sheffield Brewers and other local brews. He uses similar yeast to Thwaites

Here we go....Results time....

Duvel, set off like a train, top cropping, smelt beautiful when fermenting, however when sampled, not brilliant compared to the Fullers

Sierra Nevada, again top cropping yeast, smelt well and tasted better than duvel.

Elsie Mo, top cropping yeast. Its a bit like notty.

Fullers...The Doggies licky bits....did not set of as quick as the duvel but the smell is of fruit and the taste is far superior to all the others, the jam jar is clear as the yeast has done its job. Its a bottom worker though. I am currently feeding this one to step up for the next brew, I rate this as a better yeast than the one that I usually use.

Captured Hopback yesterday...Its started in its jam jar. I have had an email from Hopback to say that the strain of yeast has been formulated specifically for their brews and that the yeast used in bottling is the primary strain....

shocker said:
Good work again Rob , theres quite a database building up on yeasts here . Must remember to feed the fullers today .....

I decided to bin the sierra nevada and the elsie mo and currently am concentrating on feeding the fullers, duvel and Hopback.

Bigger jam jars...The Fullers ( from one bottle) has 1/8th inch of yeast in the bottom, its on its second lunch of spraymalt and is doing its lava-lamp impression ( big globs of yeast going up and down) its quite relaxing just to watch it. I reckon that there is enough to pitch now for 25 litres but I will give it another lunch to get it upto 1/4 of an inch before pitching

As I am planning to brew later this week and its going into bottles then I shall use the Fullers. It seems that the Duvel and Hopback, even though brilliant yeasts do not seem to stick to the bottom of the jars as well as the Fullers. The smell that it gives off is so different from the differing yeasts, its amazing

Hi all,

As I tightarse, I've been a fan of re-cycling yeast on and off for a few years. I've top cropped and frozen (with poor results) kept top crops and sludge in jars in the fridge, bottled sludge, cultured from bottles, used fresh yeast from microbrewery. The conclusion I've come to is that they all work (except for freezing) if you don't keep big lumps of inactive yeast/sludge for too many weeks (>4). I've often put my trust in yeast I've kept for too long and lost entire brews, (hard to live with for a tightarse :lol: ). When the yeast goes wrong it almost always seems to be an acetone (nail varnish remover) smell and taste.

Recently, I've taken to collecting a few .5 litre bottles of wort from each brew into sanitised bottles and keeping them in the fridge. I've used these as a starter for yeasts captured from bottles. I've also had success from Bengal Lancer and SNPA, and currently have a brew running with SNPA yeast in one FV and good old Nottingham in the other (hedging my bets). The SNPA starter I have at the moment took an age to get going, (~2 months) I think there was very little in the bottle and I've fed it wort several times. I do like the idea of 4 bottles of bengal lancer in some wort a couple of days before a brew :thumb: . It's lovely to drink, aside from the yeast thing.

I only tend to brew about every 6 weeks so I think my plan will be to bottle a few from each brew (normally just keg) and use the dregs to innoculate a chilled bottle of wort from the previous brew a couple of days before. I've vowed to always hedge my bets with a packet of Nottingham in the other FV (always use 2 mango chutney barrels for 50-60L brewlenths).

pjbiker said:
Hi all,

As I tightarse, I've been a fan of re-cycling yeast on and off for a few years. I've top cropped and frozen (with poor results) kept top crops and sludge in jars in the fridge, bottled sludge, cultured from bottles, used fresh yeast from microbrewery. The conclusion I've come to is that they all work (except for freezing) if you don't keep big lumps of inactive yeast/sludge for too many weeks (>4). I've often put my trust in yeast I've kept for too long and lost entire brews, (hard to live with for a tightarse :lol: ). When the yeast goes wrong it almost always seems to be an acetone (nail varnish remover) smell and taste.

Recently, I've taken to collecting a few .5 litre bottles of wort from each brew into sanitised bottles and keeping them in the fridge. I've used these as a starter for yeasts captured from bottles. I've also had success from Bengal Lancer and SNPA, and currently have a brew running with SNPA yeast in one FV and good old Nottingham in the other (hedging my bets). The SNPA starter I have at the moment took an age to get going, (~2 months) I think there was very little in the bottle and I've fed it wort several times. I do like the idea of 4 bottles of bengal lancer in some wort a couple of days before a brew :thumb: . It's lovely to drink, aside from the yeast thing.

I only tend to brew about every 6 weeks so I think my plan will be to bottle a few from each brew (normally just keg) and use the dregs to innoculate a chilled bottle of wort from the previous brew a couple of days before. I've vowed to always hedge my bets with a packet of Nottingham in the other FV (always use 2 mango chutney barrels for 50-60L brewlenths).

Good points pjbiker.

The last brew I did was with a yeast I normaly use, I got it historically from a mate in the brewery trade. I purposely bottled a couple of cloudy ones from this initial fermentation, before finings for yeast srorage.

Hi Guys,

Great info, quick question, is there a time that is too long prior to adding yeast to wort? I plan to drink beers on Saturday/Sunday (2 bottles), start culture similar to instructions detailed in this thread and but a brew down the following Saturday? Will this be too long?

Cheers

lettuce_nz said:
Hi Guys,

Great info, quick question, is there a time that is too long prior to adding yeast to wort? I plan to drink beers on Saturday/Sunday (2 bottles), start culture similar to instructions detailed in this thread and but a brew down the following Saturday? Will this be too long?

Cheers

I did it with the dregs from 2 bottles of Fullers BL, after 24 hours when it looked like it was starting in the jar with some wort. I thiink I was lucky and would say it best to really get it going probably 48 hours before.

However if you have left your wort in the FV for 48 hours prior to adding yeast you run real risks of infections etc.

Some peeps save somew wort from previous brews and chuck it in the freezer then defrost it when required, quick boil and chill then "Robert is your mothers brother"

robbarwell said:
"Robert is your mothers brother"

sooooo......what you are saying , Rob , is , that in effect , you are my uncle ..?? Wheres all my bloody birthday cards for the last 40 odd years then , eh ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back