Map of Wild Hop locations in the UK

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eatenbyahippo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have just moved to Nottinghamshire and as you do, went foraging for Wild Hops (this was in September) - having just moved up from Devon where I knew a few locations, and parts of Nottinghamshire being traditional hop growing regions I thought I'd easily find some. However I did not...

I then did a search of the internet, thinking "someone, must have created a map of wild hop locations", either for brewing or just for historical/botanical regions, but I was surprised to find there wasn't one.

So to cut a long story short - I've created a public user created map on google maps http://g.co/maps/cwwaz, which anyone can edit. I think it'd be a great resource if lots of people could add where they'd found wild hops and maybe a bit of a description of where they are/how accessible. Please pass on the URL to anyone else who might add to it.

Now I know this requires a bit of altruism, as if you put up a local bush its likely to get a bit more pillaged by other people, but surely the benefits outweighs the costs!?

Also, I only just joined the forum, so if someone's already posted something similar (or if I'm breaking some kind of rule?) please let me know!

Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

However if I knew of some good wild hops and had to drive there I would even blindfold my wife so that I kept in a secret. ;)

I think if you click on the link and click save to my places (you might need a google account) you should be able to edit it. Let me know if it works because I havent tested it!

What an excellent idea, never thought about wild hops :idea:

Mind you this far north would they do any good :?:

I know of 3 massive wild hop vines about 20 minutes from were i live ... but i dont think i'll be telling anybody were they are .
You can imagine september comes to collect them and there are a army of homebrewers all over them ... nah i'm keeping mum ;)

Lots in the hedgerows that haven't been trimmed in late september around here, wouldn't be happy using them though on a big brew, maybe a 25ltr run to see how they'd be in a bog standard brew.

i think you have to be careful where you get them from .that farmer have not been out spraying.or traffic pollution
or any other type of pollution

Now we're closer to the hoppy season I thought I'd try to re-muster some interest. Since before the map has a few more locations. For those who jealously guard your hops I'd suggest you could be a little more generous, you're probably not going to use the kilo of hops a mature vine produces! Or at least put on plants you notice/know about but dont use?

If anyone does use the map to find a bush I ask nicely you just take a small share of the hops and try to add some locations yourself, spread the love and that...

Just in case you forgot, here's the address: http://g.co/maps/cwwaz

There are quite a few wild hop plants growing around the Swan on the Green (Kent,directly south of the M26 label near Maidstone). The pub has a microbrewery onsite as well with some decent brews-not cheap though if you eat in,but food is pretty reasonable standard of fine dining.

BIGJIM72 said:
There are quite a few wild hop plants growing around the Swan on the Green (Kent,directly south of the M26 label near Maidstone). The pub has a microbrewery onsite as well with some decent brews-not cheap though if you eat in,but food is pretty reasonable standard of fine dining.

Added! Thank you very much. Looks like a nice spot

attenburgh nature res next to the trent in beeston there is some there too you have to go down lane where village hotel is :thumb:

Back