Brew Your Own British Real Ale - Graham Wheeler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is a new one coming out, I bought it on pre-order on amazon about a month ago thinking it was coming out shortly, I've just checked on amazon and its not out until the 2nd January 2013, jeezo!

abeyptfc said:
there is a new one coming out, I bought it on pre-order on amazon about a month ago thinking it was coming out shortly, I've just checked on amazon and its not out until the 2nd January 2013, jeezo!
Not according to Graham ;) CAMRA announced the publication date without asking GW with the intent of pressurising him to finishing the book . . . . His response was to shelve it for a while. If you have it pre ordered I would cancel it :(

graysalchemy said:
I use them as a guide to make my own by changing a few things. I have never brewed a clone recipe exactly as is I have always tweaked, usually by making it northern..........adding wheat malt :lol: :lol:

My use of this book is for inspiration... mainly. Not trying to follow recipes strictly, I don't know most of these beers, never had a chance to taste the difference "how it was then and how it is now". But it's a great insight in British brewing for me, poor foreigner. :P

...along with Ron Pattinson blog, that is. :D

In the book in some of the recipes it says use crystal malt.but from what I've seen there's more than one crystal malt is it personal choice.Its an copy I've been given and some pages or missing

I think it's a most common crystal, 150 ebc or so. But you may substitute with another, this will change flavour but not necessarily for worse. Lighter are usually more sweet, darker more caramel like, extra dark even with sweet coffee/milk chocolate notes.

Does this book have recipes for all grain and dry malt extract brewing. Looking at getting it but I only want to stick to dme at the moment.

Cheers

John

jolemi said:
Does this book have recipes for all grain and dry malt extract brewing. Looking at getting it but I only want to stick to dme at the moment.

Cheers

John

Yes, the DME Extract recipe is listed directly under the All Grain recipe in my 3rd Edition of the Book. :thumb:

Buster said:
jolemi said:

Cheers

John

Yes, the DME Extract recipe is listed directly under the All Grain recipe in my 3rd Edition of the Book. :thumb:

Cheers

John

I've got the 1993 edition of this.

When I put the recipes into Beer Engine, it gives IBUs which are much higher than those in the book (almost 50% higher!). Am I better off going with Beer Engine or the book ?

Recipes in the book don't state the alpha acid content of hops used. I'm adjusting the amount of bittering hops to specified IBU level, leaving the amount of aroma hops as specified in recipe. Just be sure you have proper a-acids entered in software database.

My edition does have a table of typical AA values for each hop variety so I would assume these are what the author used for the recipes. Even when I align the AA values in Beer Engine with those in the book, Beer Engine gives much higher IBUs. Perhaps the book assumed a very low utilisation ?

Bought the third edition a few weeks ago after reading on here.

Having brewed from kits for many years and then using DME from a friend's recipe. I got a boiler last Christmas and started some all grain brewing, but not really quite knowing what I was doing! :oops:

I have found the first section of the book really interesting and clearly explained the basic principles.

I would recommend it to anyone starting out on DME or All Grain.

Me too!

I've been reading the first chapters and already I can see the allure of the dark side.

And the recipes! Oh, the recipes.....

2013 is the year I turn to proper AG brewing.

:cheers:

Hi All

I bought GW's BYOBRA to get me back into AG brewing after a gap ( raising 2 children) of 25 years. I was a devotee of St Dave (Line) and used to brew clones from his book "Brewing beers like those you buy" which came out fine as I recall.

I found GW's book very easy to read and it motivated me to ditch my grain bag and make my own mash tun with a false bottom which works a treat.
I find the recipes excellent and I'm now a fan of torrefied wheat - just sampling GW's Jennings Cockerhoop as I type - ace!

So, if you are newish to all grain brewing or want to ditch malt extract or kits and do the real thing then this is the book for you.

Happy brewing and even happier drinking
Cheers
Scubabrewer

Bought this for the recipes, bottled my second AG last I week which is the London Pride clone, can't wait to try it. Found it a great help

Latest posts

Back