Coopers Stout recipe?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovelldr

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just waiting for my lager to finish fermenting, and already looking at what to go for next...

So, I was thinking of having a go at a stout, as I love my stout/porters, and since I'm waiting for a delivery which doesn't have everything in stock yet, I thought I might go for a stout. Got the coopers stout (not the heritage irish version with the pic of the bloke, the other one, hopefully it's the right one), 1kg of dark DME, and was gonna go for this recipe:

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-g ... xtra-stout

But, instead of going for 500g sugar/dextrose it recommends, was thinking of trying muscovado dark sugar. But, just wasn't sure whether it would go with it or not?! What you guys reckon?

This would basically be brewing it a little short, and also adding extra fermentables. It's only my 2nd brew, so not so sure... I only went for the dark malt extract, not extra dark, as lhbs (it's only a small local chemist) didn't have any extra dark... So, should it be ok in opinions? Anyone else done anything similar?

Cheers in advance... Got some questions about my lager I wanted to ask ... but they can go in a separate thread :p

Thanks guys :)

should be great, i just finished drinking mine, 21litre, 500g Dextrose, 500g dark DME, i primed with dark candy sugar syrup, not sure it made any difference but the drink was especially nice, i mean really really nice, truly great imho :)

what you suggest sounds great to me :)

..... perhaps if you're unsure about the sugar just use your DME plus dextrose then you have something to compare to when you try with muscovado some other time

I did the other (Irish) one at full length using all DME then batch primed with black treacle. It is sensational.

I can't imagine that this recipe will be anything other than dangerously drinkable! :cheers: :drunk:

I am about to start one of the Coopers Irish Stouts. I have based my recipe on MDs coffee stout recipe (aka Coffin Dodger viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3033&hilit=coffin+dodger)

I am going to leave out the coffee for this one and add about 400g of coco powder instead to get a strong chocolate stout. I may also cut back on the sugar but I will make the final decidion on brewday. :cheers:

Drinking my coopers stout at the minute it's was made with 500g dark spray malt and 1 kg Demerara sugar and it's spankingly georgeous !

alanywiseman said:
I am about to start one of the Coopers Irish Stouts. I have based my recipe on MDs coffee stout recipe (aka Coffin Dodger viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3033&hilit=coffin+dodger)

I am going to leave out the coffee for this one and add about 400g of coco powder instead to get a strong chocolate stout. I may also cut back on the sugar but I will make the final decidion on brewday. :cheers:
Are you also doing two cans of Coopers stout as the Coffin Dodger was? I'm interested in doing this as a chocolate stout as above, but don't really want the strength that beer had.

Also, can you use any old cocoa powder? And when do you put it in?

I will be putting this on again in the near future, As you may tell I like my stouts and like them strong :lol:
I like Alans take with the choc I may have a go with some vanilla But keeping to the 2 cans and oddles of sugar :thumb: r

My plan is to use two cans, 1kg dark malt, 750g-1kg brewing sugar and about 400g of cocoa powder (added in before the yeast).

I think old cocoa powder will be fine. You could use one can and 1.5kg of malt/sugar to reduce the abv. Depends how strong you like your stouts.

Muddy it would be good to hear how the vanilla goes? Is it a strong enough taste to hold up to the stout?

Depends on quantity used I suppose :D
I'm going to look into how much people have used in other brews then most likely double it, is the way I work, a KG of chocolate in a stout means it really is a chocolate stout :lol:

ive just got an irish stout on at the moment with a can of dark malt extract in,
nearly there taste is awesome and colour is fantastic
i would of done another but someone with initials MD just got my last irish stout cans

ooww well ill use the black rock instead for the next one ;) an dstill bung in the can of dark malt

seems the way to go

would adding coacoa powder increase the abv at all? it will be interesting to see if the choco flavour is still there at the end of fermentation. i was considering adding a small amount of the powder to my coopers irish stout in a pint glass to judge how much I would like but dont know if the flavour would decrease after 2 weeks fermentation and a month in the keg? any ideas?

I have had a really chocolatey chocolate double stout. It was as close to a hot chocolate taste as you can get in a beer. Sadly I can't remember who brewed it :(

This is what I am aiming for so fingers crossed. I will taste it at the end of fermentation and if the chocolate flavour is lacking then I will add more in the secondary FV. Fingers crossed :pray:

This thread is very interesting. I bought a coopers Irish stout kit a few weeks ago and havnt put it on yet as the mother has banned me from making anymore homebrew :nono: until I move out. Which should only be a few more weeks :D :party:

Anyway I was in B&M bargains and spotted Tate and lyle chocolate syrup with no preservatives in it on the shelf. Now I have used the golden syrup before in beer so I bought a chocolate one and thought it would come in handy here.

Anyway the main question. Anyone ever used chocolate syrup in a stout?

I believe that Saltaire use a chocolate syrup (as well as chocolate malt and real chocolate) in their Triple Chocoholic. If you try the chocolate syrup let us know how you get on.

What is it like with no additives?

I love Guinness, is it anything like that?
This could be my next brew!!!

Stuff it. When my mums out I'm going to put the bottle of choc syrup (maybe even alittle coco aswell, brew enhancer and get it on the go! I'll let you know how it turns out. if she finds it I'll say it's for the house warming party :cheers:

Would it be a good idea to prime with treacle or would it conflict with the choc flavour. Anyone ever done this????

Just done my first stout was Irish cooper and dark malt extract

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I was thinking of using cocoa powder in the fermentation then priming with treacle. I can't tell you the result but if you have a big enough chocolate taste in the stout the treacle should not overpower it.

Latest posts

Back