Lancaster Brewery Tour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darcey

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello All!

Last month I visited Lancaster Brewery and went on the tour!
6977954871_7ebc2262cf_z.jpg

They are based on a retail park just outside Lancaster (see website for details). The building previously was a garden centre and the building lends itself quite well to being a brewery. The garden centre was build with insulation in the walls and ceiling to stop the plants dieing so the fairly basic industrial structure is very temperature stable so I am told.

In entering you find a very well set out bar / shop / cafe area
6831830184_86696a4fd9_z.jpg

The cafe appeared to be popular and afew people were having a pint too! They have a darts board and bar billiards table as well as few flat screens one of which is a live feed showing whats going on in the brewery proper! It was a very well thought out space an very inviting SWMBO was very impressed with the decoration and the hop 'tree' :nono:
6831827882_56e457bba5_z.jpg

They have a selection of malts and hops for your to taste / smell but they looked a little past their best before to me :whistle:

Its a great place to visit and its smart enough to bring non beer people with out them getting bored.
6977955725_d3be67b708_z.jpg

They do 2x Tours a day (check website for details) @£10 per person which includes aprox 40min tour of the brewery proper and a half of each of their 4 beers with guided tastings and Q&A session.

Due to my enthuisasm we arrived early and as we were in SWMBO's car all weekend I couldnt help myself and had a pint before we started the tour.
6831829700_6bdcaac782_z.jpg

I honestly have to say it was the BEST poured pint I have ever had all credit to the bar staff. However the beer (Blonde) was slightly lack lustre but very drinkable.

Unfortuntly I failed to take any pictures of the brewery itself :nono:

It is a rather impressive purpose built brewery with 5x 30BB fermentation v's. They only use Thwaites yeast and buy direct from the brewery on a weekly trip to get fresh batches. I was resonably surprised that they don't propergate their own but the brewery manager said they had been having problems with doing this reliably.

Dominating the interior of the brew house were 2x 50BB water tanks both HLT and CLT (Hot and Cold! Fancy). These were both used in the brewing process and to cool the FV's. They were brewing at the time so we did it all abit backwards. Well worth the effort I felt it was a little dumbed down. I pointed out at the beginning I was a bit of a geek but he refused to believe that a homebrewer can produce beer WITH OUT adding sugar / extract. I was also slightly suspicious of some of the answers. When I asked how they primed the casks before conditioning the informed me that they just 'stop fermentation' depending on the beer style so they stop it sooner for a 3.8% and leave longer for a 4.1% and cask it. Looking at the equipment I doubt they could have cooled that volume of beer to 'stop fermentation' and besides secondary fermentation would just explode the casks. My point of exploding barrels didn't go down well. I also asked at what temperature they allow the casks to mature and how long it takes.. 'It takes longer in winter because its colder' was the response 'besides by the time its go to the pubs it'll be ok'. I think i worry about my beer too much.

Besides this when we were one to one he was very helpful in answering questions, I guess explaining gravity to a group varied in their interest of being there was not his idea of keeping the schedules or value for money on target.

I would fully recommend going. If you take along a suitable container and go on a Tuesday or soon after you can get some Thwaites yeast, they also sell onsite freshly milled malt (25kg sacks) if you ask nicely.

Cheers :drunk: :drink: !

Darcey said:
I would fully recommend going. If you take along a suitable container and go on a Tuesday or soon after you can get some Thwaites yeast, they also sell onsite freshly milled malt (25kg sacks) if you ask nicely. !
How much do they charge for the malt, do they charge for the yeast?

BB

Yeast was free
BarnsleyBrewer said:

Yeast was free as long as your not taking a 1g DJ with you. The malt was I think about £20 (SWMBO will remember) they said they only cover costs on selling to micro brewerys as in real terms it improves the turn over of grain! I think they standard use MO but were using Pearl when I was there. Give em a ring they were very helpful.

Darcey said:
Yeast was free
BarnsleyBrewer said:

Yeast was free as long as your not taking a 1g DJ with you. The malt was I think about £20 (SWMBO will remember) they said they only cover costs on selling to micro brewerys as in real terms it improves the turn over of grain! I think they standard use MO but were using Pearl when I was there. Give em a ring they were very helpful.
Thanks' D, might av a trip over this summer..

John

Also Pie and Peas in the cafe were great!

An to add Lancaster is a beautiful city! Well worth a trip!

Went to their brewery tour when it was just off Lansil Road (I work opposite it) and that was an experience and a half! They had a free bar, you turned up and you poured yourself a pint or two, you went to the grain room (with a fresh pint), back to the bar for another beer, off to the fermentation room with another beer, back to the bar and then to the bottling room and then back to the bar for more beer... Proper :drunk: by the end of it, Matt Jackson and the rest of his team showing us around were in a similar state as well!

Keep meaning to go and see their new place, although they turned me down for the microbiologists job, so still a bit sore after that! Is it bad that I have a small smile at their struggle to propagate their own yeast? :oops:

good write up Darcey, will have to pay another visit! :thumb:

I lived in Lancaster for 18 years and never knew about this place, may have to arrange a trip with my dad this spring :)

Latest posts

Back