fermentation fridge how to ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that a PID Tazuk? I don't think they are suitable for fridges as they switch too quickly.
The ATC/STC models have a delay to stop the compressor turning on too often and overheating.

If not ignore.

tazuk said:
i was looking in to a fermenting fridge i think i am right you can not get a fermenting bin in a standard under work top fridge am i right or wrong :wha: :wha: i would love to know befour i got one ?????? :thumb:

Just bought an undercounter fridge, fits even my largest fermenting bucket with ease :D . I just asked the sellers to tell me the height from the bottom shelf (above the salad trays) to the top of the fridge. If it is slightly taller than your fermenting bucket, it will be fine (unless it is a narrow/non standard fridge). :thumb:

Brewedout said:
tazuk said:
i was looking in to a fermenting fridge i think i am right you can not get a fermenting bin in a standard under work top fridge am i right or wrong :wha: :wha: i would love to know befour i got one ?????? :thumb:

Just bought an undercounter fridge, fits even my largest fermenting bucket with ease :D . I just asked the sellers to tell me the height from the bottom shelf (above the salad trays) to the top of the fridge. If it is slightly taller than your fermenting bucket, it will be fine (unless it is a narrow/non standard fridge). :thumb:

Aha, then I see page 2, ignore my post!!

Just out of curiosity.....

What temperature would a fridge control to with it's thermostat turned up to it's maximum ( warmest ) setting, without triggering a defrost and no external control unit?

Cheers Tom

I think you can but the airlock won't fit on . . . Depends if you airlock or Open top ferment your brews

Just so I am clear, does the power to the STC also power the fridge and heater? Or do you need separate power to them too?

Cononthebarber said:
Just so I am clear, does the power to the STC also power the fridge and heater? Or do you need separate power to them too?

Just one power connection is needed which powers both the controller and the fridge/heater.

What are the brands/makes of your undercounter fermentation fridges? That way I know what to look for on ebay etc.

I don't believe there are any specific makes or models that are used, just whatever you can get hold of.

Having said that, depending on where your fridge will be, some are designed to work in cold temperatures, I think it's Beko from memory. Mine isn't one of those and works perfectly well all year round, but it doesn't get that cold here.

The main thing I'm looking for are makes that comfortably fit a glass carboy or a fermentation bin. I know my current undercounter fridge is much too small...

Check the photos of the fridge, avoid any that show a 'step' at the back of the fridge as this will make it difficult to get a fermenter in them and still close the door.

OK.....so got my fridge......FREE from guy down road. Got my STC 1000 and a 45W greenhouse heater. Going to tackle this project at the weekend and then somehow fire the temps readings into a graph on my Raspberry Pi PC and try to control them over Internet ( just for the hell of it). Will update on progress and post pics....if it works :pray: :)

Hello Guys,
It's took me a few hrs of researching on here and getting to the point where I was ok then confused myself with info overload.
Anyways please could anyone put my mind at ease on what I think my set up would be?
I still have a question on getting the probe into the fv bucket.

I have got a small chest freezer from my mother and due to the only suitable place in the house to have it is under the stairs cub board but it has all the hot water pipes.
I am looking at a STC 1000 already boxed with Heater and cooler sockets.
Please confirm once I set my desired temp on the STC 1000 plug in the freezer and install a 1ft 45w greenhouse heater that is all I need to do apart from suss the probe into my fv bucket?
ATB
Brian

piddledribble said:
that is all.

the stc will control the fridge and the heater. Just plug it into the mains. set the temp and sit back and gloat.... Hope you got room to lift the lid and get the fv 's in.. :roll:

Hello m8
What a relief!
Think the more I was reading I was confusing myself lol.
I've gotta say the response and help has been fantastic loads have took the time to pm etc to take me through the options not only on specifics to one subject but a myriad of other tasks right up to when I decide to start AG brewing....think I will just have to take you all up on that.
Picking my mini chest freezer up in a couple days then order a boxed stc1000 and small greenhouse heater.
Noddy has PM'd precise settings for me so chuffed to bits :clap:
My first batch of Wilko's Golden ale was started yesterday evening so off to see how it's getting on, it's temp is 22C at the mo as I've had to take the room temp down to adjust.
Once again many thanks and I will keep you all updated on my progress.
Now off looking at kit for AG brewing :D
ATB
Bri

Chuffed to bits :clap:
My stc1000 came today and I've just fun testing using a lamp for heating and my kitchen radio for cooling...toptastic :grin:
Here it is, well happy with the fabrication of it.

Now getting the freezer tomorrow and play time.
ATB
Bri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back