rhubarb wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pic of first rack - really cleared well!!

1st20rack.jpg

another update!!

the rhubarb wine is crystal clear in the DJ so i have bottled it up - it tastes quite strong and has a slight orange after taste - will leave it a couple of months and then chill one down and have a proper taste!!

I`m really happy with this one and would recomend the recipe!! :grin:

bottle2.jpg

I like the look of this one, nice pictures as well, that wine looks lovely and clear.
I've just planted some rhubarb in my garden, should be able to pick some this time next year, I'll be following this recipe, I'll try one with orange one without, see how it goes, thanks.

It's weird how things happen, just had a call off the memsahib to say that we can have has much rhubarb as we want. So I thought right the folks on the forum will know, opened the Wine & Cider Discussions and the first post is about rhubarb wine, but from 2 years ago. If John46 had not found it and posted it I would have missed it. So from the photos that Rick posted that looks like the recipe to go for.

How did the brew turn out Rick?? how many bottles do you have left? would you do the same again??

Turned Out lovely ! I brew this or similar every year - try the rhubarb with red grape juice as well, very nice ! Maybe drop the sugar a little for a less potent brew.

I'll probably use your method Rick, then use the red grape juice to top up after racking.
How does the red grape juice affect the colour? I'd like mine to come out looking nice and clear like yours.

We're pulling the rhubarb on Sat. Will follow your recipe, we both like a medium what would you put your brew as?.

A litre of red grape juice will give you a lovely rose color and will still be clear. I reccomend using either a litre of red or white grape juice per gallon to give some more body to the wine - so a lovely rose or crisp white :cheers:

I ferment all my wines out to dry at around 0992ish as this is how we like it, the wife adds a splash of lemonade which works really well. You could stop the ferment at around 1000 and add stabilizer (pottasium sorbate) and a campen tab for a medium wine or ferment dry and stabalise and then back sweeten to taste with sugar syrup or grape juice!

I have just started a gallon with red grape juice - just defrosting the rhubarb :party:

My mother-in-law came round yesterday holding 4kg of rhubarb from her allotment and asked me if i wanted it.

Guess what I'm making this weekend.

Reburner said:
My mother-in-law came round yesterday holding 4kg of rhubarb from her allotment and asked me if i wanted it.

Guess what I'm making this weekend.

:lol: result !

11.5 kgs of the stuff, and there's still more if we want it, free to boot.
All cut up and in the freezer until tomorrow. I haven't done a wine since I was a nipper when I helped dad make rhubarb wine.
Looking forward to the first bottle. :pray:

Rhubarb.jpg

I got a recipe for rhubarb wine from John Wright in the guardian, I don't know how to post links so I just typed it into google. Am very new at this so you might want to take some more experienced advice.

i did a rhubarb wine last year i nearly threw it away as it smelled of acid and that was all but i tryed it and im glad i did

this year ive just put on a rhubarb and raisin wine it took two days to get going

I'm defrosting 6kg of rhubarb in the morning to get mine going. Now I've got loads of granulated sugar knocking around at the moment. Is that going to break down OK with the rhubarb?

Just dissolve your sugar on boiling water and allow to cool then add to your dj !

It was ok. The sugar went to liquid after a couple of stirs and about 2 hours in the rhubarb

Well I've done it, got about 20 liters so far. I hit 1.082.

IMAG0116.jpg

So it's now time to sit back and see what comes from it...

IMAG0118.jpg

That looks lovely ! Great job !
I'm hoping my mother in law gives me a few kilos of rhubarb so I can get some more on !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back