rhubarb wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pity your so far away, like I said we have a free hand with a large rhubarb patch, hope to get another load next Sat to start another batch off.

I have 3 gallons bubbling away now (added 1L of red grape juice to each)

Can anyone tell me whether this benefits from the addition of Glycerin?

I normally add a teaspoon of glvlycerine to every gallon of wine I make - I sometimes forget and I don't think
It makes a huge difference really - but I still use it !

Looks really yummy. I love rhubarb, I live in Stanley/Wakefield which I understand is known for it's rhubarb, and I always try and get some when it's in season. Maybe this gives me a good excuse to go buy a demijohn. ;)

Just raided my best friends rhubarb patch and ended up with slightly short of 4kg of the stuff :) All chopped and in the freezer....and another friend's patch to raid yet!!! I love free stuff lol!! :) Hopefully will accumulate enough to make a 4g or 5g batch :)

I'm lucky in that i can have as much as I want, I did a sample taste the other day and it was great, so I'm doing another 23liters. :party:

Dieseljockey said:
I'm lucky in that i can have as much as I want, I did a sample taste the other day and it was great, so I'm doing another 23liters. :party:

:thumb: Makes a lovely wine doesn`t it :cool:

I am also in the Rhubarb Triangle Critty and within 20 metres of all the rhubarb sheds, Looking at doing this recipe myself...... I'm sure Oldroyd's would donate a few kilo's of Rhubarb for a few bottles in return :thumb:

I didn't, but that was just me. I'm hoping to take a sample the weekend and see what it's like, that's if I have time as I'm changing the cam belt on my Pan Euro. :wha:

critty said:
Curious how adding sugar to the fruit removes the juices from it. Do I literally just throw the sugar over it? not even add water or anything else?

Amazing the way it works isn't it. It's works in the same way as a poultice draws poison out of a cut etc. A household poultice used to be a healthy dose of sugar and soap over a cut then wrapped in a bandage :D

I've got this 23 liters on the go....now at the start on May 19th it was 1082.
I checked on the 5th June and it was down to .................................1032.
Checked it today and it was down to...............................................1026.

Needless to say it still has a way to go, but it does seem slow. Now when I did it I used basic bog standard wine yeast, I'm wondering if this is near it's end. I did buy some Young's Champagne Wine Yeast last week, would this kick start it that bit further??. At the moment it's a nice drink, much like a dessert wine but it's too early for that.

Does seem a little high and slow - little bit of yeast can't hurt I'd go with that of I were you - my first batch is finished and ready for the bottle at 0992 !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back