My first Turbo Cider - A little how to.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ScottM said:
jamie_bolsover said:
Hi Scott,

On the first batch I used Cider yeast from a local brewing shop (their home brand), there has since been a few bubbles but very few, yes there is very small bubbles up the side but not much higher than the liquid level, seems to be a high concentrate of the ingredients gathering at the top.

Sounds good to me. Possibly not a perfect seal in the DJ with the stopper or something like that. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as the action is happening on the inside it's all good :D

Thanks Scott,

Panic over! Its bubbling away freely now.

Also did a second batch (Apple only) and that one had gone crazy by this am, had to replace airlock on that one as it resembled a volcano this morning, much more lively (too much!!), but has calmed a little now so both bubbling away happily.

No any can be used evn the sheap super market own brand as long as it is 100% apple juice with no additives.

The important thing is not to forget the malic acid and tannin as carton apple juice is made from eating/desert apples and obviously not cider apples so it is lacking in these two items. It is these two components which are so important to cider. :thumb:

Cheap bog standard from concentrate is fine thats all I use and I make a cider which I am quite proud of easily rival a lot of shop bought scrumpy ciders. :thumb: :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
Cheap bog standard from concentrate is fine thats all I use and I make a cider which I am quite proud of easily rival a lot of shop bought scrumpy ciders. :thumb: :thumb:

Grabbed some Morrisons own brand AJ (from concentrate) last week, for my first cider attempt. I bought 3L of their 45p and 1L at £1. They do a 60p per litre version, but this was sold out.

I started the brew off Sunday night using 3L of AJ, Youngs cider yeast, nutrient and 0.5L of strong tea. Starting Monday, the ferment was quite vigorous, I topped up with the final litre of AJ on Thursday. I'll top up to the bung with water, when activity ceases.

I took the gravity of the cheapo 45p (was 40p two weeks ago) concentrate and it came to 1040. I don't know what the genuine sg is, due to all the additions. Incidently, it's been a grim season for apples (hence the price rise). Spoke with Oldbloke, who mentioned there has been a swift increase in the price of Suma apple juice. :(

Could the cider be done on a bigger scale eg the 40pt so can do it in fv or would it not be as good

Soz to be a pain but how much of each ingredient would i need to use for the 23l.
I think ill just buy 23 cartons of AJ (I bet ill get some funny looks lol)
Thanks

23L of apple Juice.
5 tsp pectolase
5 tsp Malic acid
5 tsp Tannin or about 5 cups of black tea so strong you lips pucker :lol: :lol:

how much sugar mate?
Do u use ordinary sugar or brewing sugar for this cider
Also i take it this malic acid and tannin you have to get from brewing shop as never heard of it lol
Thanks again

You don't need to add any sugar to it you will get a 5.5% cider from just the juice. Sugar although it increases the alcohol also dilutes the flavour of it, so if you want strong insipid cider add sugar, but if you want a decent west country style cider follow my recipe and age it for about 2-3 months longer if you can wait. :thumb:

Tannin and Malic you should be able to get from a home brew shop, but you may have dificulty getting malic without going on line. Don't let the shop owner fob you off with citric or any other acid it is malic that you need as with out it your cider will not undergo malolactic fermentation which is the bit that gives cider its scrumpy taste.

If you want to do the pomegranate I would go with 19L of apple juice and 4L of pomegranate juice.

That would see a total of around 2582g sugar which would see you with around 5.2%.

I always add a little more sugar as I like around the 6% mark. A lot of juices added for making flavoured TC often have sugar added anyway. As said though, if you're going for traditional purely apple cider then it's probably best to see what you end up with on its own rather than making it too powerful. Generally apple juice on its own will see you between 5.5-6%.

It's all about experimenting. Have fun with it. If you want malolactic fermentation then be sure to use a good strain of cider yeast, if you can go with the old rosie stuff as you will be far more likely to get it with that :)

Thanks for the advice.
Been to town and got the malic and tannin from brew shop.
Also got a burton bridge summer ale as dropped price to 15. Went to wilko to look if got them cheap woodfordes wherry @ 15 and they did so brought 2 lol. I noticed a sign saying free brewing sugar with any 40 pint kit so i argued that as it was only wilko kits and i got 2 of them aswell free lol :thumb:
They have took the sign down now lol

Yes, just check the apple&raspberry is a juice not a "juice drink" containing sorbates

Mathius said:
Cheers! I'll be buying the not from concentrate now!

Concentrate is fine, it's additives that you need to worry about. Water & sugar are fine, it's the potassium sorbates and other preservatives that are the issue.

Back