Does anyone know the book Principles of Brewing Science?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure where this post should go, so I stuck it here - I trust it'll be moved if it should be somewhere else!

So, as the subject says: Does anyone know the book Principles of Brewing Science? If so, would you mind posting a review of it?

Much obliged!

Dennis

dennisdk2000 said:
So, as the subject says: Does anyone know the book Principles of Brewing Science? If so, would you mind posting a review of it?
Is that Aleman? :D

Darcey said:

Hahaha. No, it's just a novice brewer looking to buy a couple of brewing books, thought this opne looks interesting, but wanted to see what a more experienced brewer thought of it.

However, your comment makes me ask the question - did Aleman write the book?

Dennis

dennisdk2000 said:
Not sure where this post should go, so I stuck it here...
How about under Beer Brewing Book Reviews?

I've not read your book but can recommend both Graham Wheeler's and John Palmer's books.

dennisdk2000 said:
Darcey said:
Your comment makes me ask the question - did Aleman write the book?
:shock: I'm flattered that you might think so, but that book, and its companion Analysis of Brewing Techniques, were written by a true brewing Mekon - George Fix.

Both these books discuss the 'theory' of brewing very heavily, without really discussing the practical application of the theory, the Author is assuming that you can take the information presented, and with your practical experience apply it to your brewing to improve it. If you don't have a basic grounding in biochemical science as it relates to brewing then a lot of the information presented is going to go over your head.

The books sit on my bookshelf, and are never used as my GoTo books, if I want to look up an obscure topic then I'll get them out.

Thanks for the reply, Aleman. Sounds like I'll leave this book for now - although I did chemistry at college and find the more technical/theoretical side of brewing fascinating, I don't think I have the necessary knowledge and skill yet to make much use of it. Might see if I can find a copy at a library and have a flick through instead.

Dennis

PS: Aleman, could you recommend a more appropriate book on brewing "science" - ie something not too hardcore technical, but something that still explains things a bit more in detail, the science behind etc?

Dennis

dennisdk2000 said:
PS: Aleman, could you recommend a more appropriate book on brewing "science" - ie something not too hardcore technical, but something that still explains things a bit more in detail, the science behind etc?

Dennis

Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation (Brewing Elements) [Paperback]
Chris White (Author), Jamil Zainasheff (Author)

Link Here book as it is a very good book which you shouldn't get too lost in, & it covers all you should know and More, if home brewing.

UP

unclepumble said:
dennisdk2000 said:

Dennis

Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation (Brewing Elements) [Paperback]
Chris White (Author), Jamil Zainasheff (Author)

Link Here book as it is a very good book which you shouldn't get too lost in, & it covers all you should know and More, if home brewing.

UP
I've picked up a lot from this book. Had to go back and read some bits a few times but as Shane says you don't get too lost.

Yeast is an excellent book! Interesting even if your not going commercial or scaling up. Makes you realise how much you dont understand about one of the most important aspects of brewing (but also easily explains how to understand it!)!

Latest posts

Back