Totally barking .... you bet!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've been known as being more than slightly baking mad for years, I'd have a go at things that other would shy away from, not only at work but in life in general ............ but today takes the biscuit we think :whistle:

We went out beach fishing this morning, my mate picked me up and we headed down to Morecambe to fish low water from the beach. OK the forecast wasn't bad, showers perhaps but heavy rain @ 4pm.

The wind was blowing offshore from the South East, blowing the cloud away from us, we were watching the weather going away from us, excellent, the tide turned, the fish started to appear, some reasonable plaice and a bloody eel, then the wind turned to the west :?

We were watching the lightening and the rain, miles away but we could see it getting nearer, we're neck end of a mile from the promenade out on the beach at the low water mark :?

The next thing we could actually hear the rain coming, it went as black as the hobs of hell, the air was crackling, thunder and lightening getting nearer and we're stood there holding 13 foot long carbon fibre lightening rods, (well fishing rods but you get my drift) and it was pissing down, totally unable to see the shoreline (luckily I carry a compass, barking maybe, but not stupid, there is a difference :roll: )

We decided to give it legs and head off, but still carrying all this carbon and metal tripods, we got half way across the beach and the air started to fizz, (I knew what was coming, been amongst this before in the Alps) then a massive crack and a bang, I looked round and the lightening was (luckily) running along the bottom of the clouds, not coming to earth (or us).

Talk about getting a move one, my mate with a gammy hip replacement, me having had a couple of heart attacks, we could've made a decent showing on the olympic trials the way we hurtled over the sands :lol:

The roads on the way home, many were flooded, my mate dropped me off and had to head round the lanes the main road was blocked with floodwater. Wonder where next weeks trip might be, bet it won't be anywhere as wet as today, unless we fall in :rofl:

Holding the rod is a good thing, if you're going to do so though make sure it's touching the ground rather than being held in mid air :D

Sounds like you had a good day :D

:rofl: BC that's cutting it close..too bloody close...you nutter :lol:
We've had a couple of great fishing gaffs over the years, mainly in France but I'm not going to hijack your thread, and nothing as serious...more funnies :grin:

ScottM said:
Holding the rod is a good thing, if you're going to do so though make sure it's touching the ground rather than being held in mid air

simple faraday cage then!

ScottM said:
Holding the rod is a good thing, if you're going to do so though make sure it's touching the ground rather than being held in mid air

simple faraday cage then!

I can vouch for the rain Baz. I was in Kendal and the sky was black then it poured and poured some more. 33mm in an hour! A few streets in Kendal flooded, but thankfully I was inside. Glad you made it back ok. :clap:

I saw the news last night with all the flooding You wen't joking about the roads :lol: :lol:

We just had a dry very humid day here in Sunny old Madchester :lol: :lol:

i did a simular thing whilst flying gliders
well i was on the winch (we launched our gliders with a winch and cable) at the time with a kilometer of 4mm steel cable dangeling in the air with a parachute on the end to arrest its decent
the glider pulled off the cable and all around me the sky was lighting up
something i dont want to repeat

steve

Back