First lager brew with Coopers micro brew kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2bias

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Currently going into day 6 now which I'm told is that day I take a reading and when fermentation should be finished. I have noticed though that in the last 48 hours since I have removed the krausen collar that my brew has started foaming like crazy?? I have noticed the temperature has gone up between 20-24 degrees..
I'm not sure what is happening or whether the beer will be ok?? Is it worth just leaving it for a few extra days to see if the foam dies down?

A combination of the yeast being spurred on a bit by the rise in temperature and also some of the CO2 already in solution in the beer coming out with the rising temp.

Nothing to worry about really but try to shift it somewhere cooler if you can until it finishes. 6 days is never enough, they lie on the instructions to make you think homemade beer is quick. Quick homemade beer is, on the whole, :sick: . Give it another week to finish up before you even bother taking a reading.

if its still working leave it. Sometimes it takes a week 10 days to finish don't panic

2bias said:
Shall I just ignore it till it dies down then?

I have been watching CraigTube and he had his bottled after 5 days?

Ignore it til at least Day 14 and then take a reading.

Exactly the same as me :D Coopers lager kit now on day 6.

Mine is hardly foaming at all though.

I will be leaving mine well alone until day 14 as advised.

Andy

daddy day care said:
Exactly the same as me :D Coopers lager kit now on day 6.

Mine is hardly foaming at all though.

I will be leaving mine well alone until day 14 as advised.

Andy
The thing with mine was I had it in the garage and the temperature was between 16-18 degrees so moved it to the shed where the temperature is between 20-24 degrees... took the kraussen collar out and now it's like a 99 cone :D
It's very exciting but as it's my first I really wanna just bottle it an try it lol.

2bias said:
It's very exciting but as it's my first I really wanna just bottle it an try it lol.

And this, dear 2bias, is the first and most important lesson in brewing. You must wait. Then wait. Then wait some more.

Read The "OMG I really don't want to screw up my first brew" How To. to pass some time...

...haste and brewing make uncomfortable bedfellows.

Oh and :sick: tasting beer.

calumscott said:
2bias said:

And this, dear 2bias, is the first and most important lesson in brewing. You must wait. Then wait. Then wait some more.

Read The "OMG I really don't want to screw up my first brew" How To. to pass some time...

...haste and brewing make uncomfortable bedfellows.

Oh and :sick: tasting beer.
Very true, I will give that a read and I wont be rushing to try it..

If you have to, buy some from the supermarket :eek:
The beer you have at the moment won't taste as good as the supermarket ones so whats the point in drinking it?
It's very hard to resist but it's worth it in the end!
There is a sying that i keep reading, it pops up every now and then on here, it is simply "the last bottle you have is always the best" this is because it will have had the longest time to mature ;)
Like i say, go and sample some of the supermarket "real" ales to see what type of ale beer you like so you know what to brew in the future and as your doing that your very own beer will be maturing and getting better by the day :D
Also you'll be building up a suply of bottles for the next brew.

Andy

The biggest thing with brewing is patience. I have only brewed twice so far, but before I start read this forum religiously and the consensus seemed to be to keep in in the fv for 2 weeks, bottle or keg and keep in warm place for 2 weeks for carbonation and then leave to condition somewhere cold. My second brew was a Better Brew Northern Brown ale, which is 2 months conditioned and its fantastic. The trick seems to be to brew plenty at the start to get a stock pile going so, so you can keep ahead of yourself. You can definitely notice the difference in leaving your beer to condition, the first brew I made was a Cooper's Canadian Blonde and drank it early and I definitely notice the improvement week by week I drank it.

operon said:
The biggest thing with brewing is patience. I have only brewed twice so far, but before I start read this forum religiously and the consensus seemed to be to keep in in the fv for 2 weeks, bottle or keg and keep in warm place for 2 weeks for carbonation and then leave to condition somewhere cold. My second brew was a Better Brew Northern Brown ale, which is 2 months conditioned and its fantastic. The trick seems to be to brew plenty at the start to get a stock pile going so, so you can keep ahead of yourself. You can definitely notice the difference in leaving your beer to condition, the first brew I made was a Cooper's Canadian Blonde and drank it early and I definitely notice the improvement week by week I drank it.
What does fv mean?
So leave it for 2 weeks then chill it? I'm tempted to try one in a couple weeks then again a week after etc etc

2bias said:
daddy day care said:
fv = fermentation vessel

Are your bottles stored in the warm at the moment?

Andy
Yeah there out in the shed where they fermented, 18-22 degrees.
Thats good for the first 2 weeks after you bottled them, there carbonating. The yeast is using up the sugar you primed the bottles with to produce CO2

So leave it for 2 weeks then chill it? I'm tempted to try one in a couple weeks then again a week after etc etc

In the name of scientific research this is allowed on your first few brews. Leave your brew one week, and then start tasting 1 bottle a week after that. However be aware of the feeling of disappointment on tasting your first sample. That will go as you progress down the rest of the brew and by the last week ( which will be around 40 weeks from your bottling date if you brew 23 litres and bottle in 550ml bottles ) you will then be convinced of the wisdom of the Sages on this forum who told you to leave it alone for at least 3 weeks !! :D

Latest posts

Back