wilkinsons own homebrew beer kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Just started an all malt Wilko's Best Bitter kit. Been in the FV for a few days, seems quite lively! It must be good because it's got a picture of a bulldog wearing a bowler hat on it?

winelight said:
Don't invest in the bottles, get them free from a pub, bar, friends who drink beer, someone you see with a carfull at the recycling centre, etc...

Thanks for the tip - the same thing had occurred to me as I drove into town earlier!

Note: those are under a tenner now from Tesco direct. You can click and collect from a local Tesco even a Tesco Express. I just bought 3 today, which is perhaps overdoing it somewhat. But I like stout!

Anyone know if i buy a replacement pressure barrell cap can i then fit the S30 valve onto this???

I took the plunge and bought the Golden Ale the other day while it's down to 16 quid. I'll get it started as soon as I know I'll have a keg free.

I set a wilko cerveza at the begining of January, it had two weeks in the FV two weeks primed in bottles and has been out in the shed for well over a week and its still very un-clear/cloudy.
I will crack a few open at the weekend as my patience is waining, but TBH i arent overly optimistic. :pray:

I think the clearing mostly happens while it is stored cold - this certainly seems to be what is happening with my Better Brew IPA. So give it a bit longer in the cold. Not that that stops you taking quality control samples now. :cheers:

rpt said:
I think the clearing mostly happens while it is stored cold - this certainly seems to be what is happening with my Better Brew IPA. So give it a bit longer in the cold. Not that that stops you taking quality control samples now. :cheers:
I'd drunk my Coopers Draught by the end of the two week chill period and it was crystal clear.
I'm putting a Coopers cerveza (amongst others!!) on at the weekend i will how that compares.

Opened a bottle this evening and tbh I'm not best pleased.
It tastes ok, the clarity though is poor and the head retention lasts about twenty seconds although it bubbles away right to the bottom.
Not a patch on the Coopers draught.
I'm putting three brews on this weekend, two Coopers - cerveza & lager and a Young's harvest mild. We'll see how the Wilko's stands up to the Coopers equivalent baring in mind the Coopers through a bit of savvy buying was cheaper.
As disappointed as I am it's still preferable to 70% of the beer I have supped in local boozers and probably 95% of the beer I've supped up town.

Ah I have a Young's harvest mild, I was thinking of making it a dark mild by using dark crystal malt. Have to wait for the Wherry to finish first before I can get it on.

winelight said:
Ah I have a Young's harvest mild, I was thinking of making it a dark mild by using dark crystal malt. Have to wait for the Wherry to finish first before I can get it on.
Bottled my wherry earlier this week.
Plan to use 500g dark spray malt, 500g brewing sugar and maybe 200-300g dark brown sugar or maybe muscavado sugar and brew to 21-22litres.

I BOUGHT WILCONSONS OWN LAGER LOADS OF IT AND SOME HAVE TURNED OUT TO BE BITTER IV,E BEEN REFUNDED FOR ONE BUT NOT THE OTHERS ,HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM

lager fanny said:
i have just started a wilkinsons own beer kit. it was only £10. i havent seen them in there before so for that price its worth a go. they have lager, pilsner and i bought a newkie brown. they probably do a few others too. if anyone else has tried one let us know what its like. cheers... :cheers:
I GOT SOME LAGER BUT SOME WAS LABELLED WRONG THEY WAS BITTER GOT REFUNDED FOR ONE BUT NOT THE OTHERS

Here's a question for you kind people - have any of you tried making an IPA from one of the £10 Wilko lager kits?

I am considering doing a partial mash using 4lb of grain, the wilko lager malt, 1kg of light spray malt and a load of cascade and citra hops. Just wondered if anyone has done this? :-D

Here's a question for you kind people - have any of you tried making an IPA from one of the £10 Wilko lager kits?

I am considering doing a partial mash using 4lb of grain, the wilko lager malt, 1kg of light spray malt and a load of cascade and citra hops. Just wondered if anyone has done this? :-D

Not specifically, but the Wilko lager kits are very lightly bittered indeed and I have made great PM brews from 2 can kits from Wilko as a base. Would expect that a "big" USA style IPA would sit very nicely on this sort of base, as there will be sufficient hops to give enough bittering for the "hop-heads".

The Brewmate software is useful to plan out your intentions - of course, there are other brewing software options out there, this is just the one I use.

Ah brilliant. I tried a Devils Backbone beer in Wetherspoons and it was nicely hopped but with the texture, watery refreshing crisp feel of a lager, so I was going to stick to one can and brew short as a partial mash.

I've done similar, works well. I think steeping some crystal malt is a good idea to counter the hops.

Latest posts

Back