Bottle Washing tips and tricks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamlead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Washed quite a lot of bottles in my time so have a few tips n tricks to pass on.
First up those pesky plastic type labels that wont come off and leand a sticky gooey mess if yoy scrape the label off - one way is to use WD40 to get rid of the residue and then rinse off, another is to use a hair dryer to get the labe to peel off using a paint scraper and gardening gloves -they got hot. let them cool before rinsing though.

If the bottles have been used recently they are usually fairly clean so i soak in the bath with a type of chlorine pool tablet i can get here cheap or a dilute solution of bleach. Then again rinse well.

Stubborn bottles and generally baked on stains i use vanish oxyclean on a 24 hour soak in hot water but recently found a big problem.
If left over night in the bath it puts white almost limescale deposit both inside and outside of the bottles and was driving me nuts on how to get rid of it. Washing in soapy water didnt help nor did rinsing in fresh.
The solution i found is to fill a bucket - 25ltr- with hot water and add half a bottle of that rinse aid stuff for dishwashers. After all it proclaims to bing up glassware crystal clean - and it does - four bottles at a time sunk into the solution and left for a couple of hours removes all traces of the white limescale stain from the bottles and does indeed bring them up crystal clear, then give a good rinse in fresh water.
Works on any coloured bottles , brown, green and clear.

I then always give my bottles another rinse in videne too just before bottling. :cheers:

screamlead said:
First up those pesky plastic type labels that wont come off and leand a sticky gooey mess if yoy scrape the label off - one way is to use WD40 to get rid of the residue and then rinse off, another is to use a hair dryer to get the labe to peel off using a paint scraper and gardening gloves -they got hot. let them cool before rinsing though.

Straight in the recycle bin for me :rofl: :rofl: Not worth the effort IMHO

For the plasticy labels that do not come off with just water I have started filling the bottle with boiling water. This softens the glue allowing the label to be peeled off easily then just use some form of oil to remove the gunk left behind.

alanywiseman said:
I have started filling the bottle with boiling water.
+1 for the hot water, it doesn't even need to be boilding water.

For speed, I dump the offending articles into hot water, peel the label off then remove the adhesive using detergent and a steel scourer.
:thumb:

GrumpyBunny said:
alanywiseman said:
I have started filling the bottle with boiling water.
+1 for the hot water, it doesn't even need to be boilding water.

For speed, I dump the offending articles into hot water, peel the label off then remove the adhesive using detergent and a steel scourer.
:thumb:
For Speed I dump them in the recycling bin :D

I actively seek out the plastic labels with the silvering - they are by far the easiest!!

Peel off the plastic outer, dump in bucket of washing up liquid and hot water for a day, use one of those serious razor wire scourers to remove the now really soft metallic sticky stuff.

Coop's real ales are my preference...

EDIT: and the worst are the paper labels with that plasticky film over. Those are the ones that I just recycle...

For Speed I dump them in the recycling bin :D

Aren't these quite expensive to buy though?

I have heard that vinegar with some rice works well in bottles and demijohns, providing you give then a good shake of course.

never use vinegar anywhere near beer or especially wine.....its too closely related...there's a chance it could interbreed..... :D :D

I soak all mine to get the labels off, then a rinse. Stubborn labels get the scourer treatment. Then i give them a soak in vpm solution for 5 minutes or so making sure they're completely submerged then cap them with those plastic reusable caps, give the outside another rinse then put them away until i'm ready to use them. Finally another good rinse just before bottling. My only worry is how long the solution remains effective (just been reading about Videne and it's limited life in solution) but it certainly seems good for a few weeks.

bob

What's the problem with labels :wha:

If they come off.... fine :thumb:

If they don't come off........fine :thumb:

They both store my home brew in them, label or not :hat:

:roll:

LeedsBrewer said:
Yeah, but they won't look as pretty when we show you our stash! :tongue:

Oh I dunno :hmm:

Go to say my fave bottles are without a doubt Magners Cider, 568ml, sexy shape, and labels that float off :thumb: I have an Irish mate with a pub which is handy for those ;)
But a very close second are my Double Maxim bottles - dunno what their labels are held on with but they stay on time after time - and with a nice dark brew in them and some shiney gold tops, they take me back to my formative drinking days :lol:

Anyway, get ya pics up on me thread you :grin:

:cheers:

Here is my tried and trusted solution for removing labels: I fill the bottles up with tap water then immerse them in a bucket of water for a week or so to get the labels soaked. the next stage is to use a Stanley blade to remove the majority of the paper, leaving just the glue residue on the bottle which is easily removed by using a brillo pad. Hey presto Job Done.

Hot water soak followed by a bit of work with some ordinary cooking oil and a scourer of some kind (for the difficult ones) generally works for me.

dirty squid said:
What about washing your bottles, whats the best way you have found to batch clean them.

I give mine a rinse under the tap then shove them into the bath with hot water and sanitiser. Seems to work well, especially if you are doing a lot of bottles (I had 60 to do). If I'm only doing a few, I'll wash them out in the sink, fill the sink with hot water and sanitiser then fill the bottles with it and leave them on the side. I do find the bath good if you also needn't soak the labels off as well.

I tend to use magner/gaymers bottles and i put them in the dishwasher and they all come out without the labels and foil.

Latest posts

Back