STRAWBERRY RIBENA WINE

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use a couple of tea bags stewed in about 1/2 a cup of boiling water. But if i was you, i would invest in a tup of youngs tannin. As for the water, yes you can use cold tap water.

i'll pick up the tannin this week then, i'm planning a ride over to my lhbs anyway, how much do i use in this recipe??

sorry :oops: being a pest!

KJ

Don’t apoligise for being a pest, that’s what we are all here for to help each other out. As for the tannin I used 1 teaspoon full per 1 gallon DJ.

i'd say, untill its crystal clear, then just leave it to age (if you can, im having trouble with this whole ageing process) for a few months.

Im no expert tho!

Thanks to Cheeky Monkey and Corby Brewer, just having my first glass and this stuff is lovely.

I'm thinking this would be really good over ice with some tonic water or lemonade - Pimms! Had to take a sample when bottling and at room temp on its own, it's great.

Mt daugther loves this stuff and I'm thinking this might be my next move. I'm aiming for AG beer and country wine but I'm being distracted by diluting juice booze, all in good time I hope.

Do I need to use pectolase and glycerine in this one as is used in the Wurzels recipe?

Ok, i started this one tonight and the OG was 1100 so all good.
Again, another question based on the fact that my only experience is wurzels.
Do I need to rack onto a campden tablet, also use finings and wine stabilizer? :cheers:

Ok so i have now racked and stabilised but the wine is very dry and tastes very strong (probably should have stopped fermentation sooner).

So how about sweetening?

Add cranberry juice? add sugar? both?

and should I do this before finings?

I made some Strawberry Wine a couple of weeks ago. I didn't use any other juice though and only 1/2 litre of ribena for a gallon. It's still fermenting out at the mo, so havn't had a sip yet although it's a lovely colour! Here's the recipe I followed:

To make 1 Gallon
500ml Strawberry Ribena
1kg sugar
1 mug strong tea
1tsp citric acid
1tsp super wine yeast
1tsp yeast nutrient
Water to 1 gal.

Heat up Ribena in a pan and keep at ~75 deg C for 10 mins to burn off preservatives
At same time soak teabag in boiling water
Add tea, sugar to Ribena and dilute with 1l of water. Stir to disolve sugar
Leave cool and add to DJ
Top up to neck with cold water
Add citric acid, yeast nutrient and yeast

Start OG was 1090
:cheers:

Me and my wife are having ago at this recipie, how long do you estimate before its good to drink.

1 litre of both juices 750g sugar.

probably a couple of months really, mine took quite a while to ferment and it needed some time in the bottle for the flavours to settle. Best thing to do is bottle some smaller samples that you can try after a week or two, then a little later and you can judge for yourself when you think it tastes good and you want to get bucked into it.

Newbie question, should I bottle it when it gets to 0.99 then leave in bottles for a month at least?

When you say bottle in smaller containers for samples, can I get away with plastic drinks bottles for them?

Yeah that sounds like a plan - regarding bottles the likes of small coke bottles (well rinsed out and sanitized) will do your job nicely.

Just checked the wine and its starting to almost stop fermenting.

What do I need to do next?
Do I add wine stabiliser if so how much?

Read this guide for making wurzels wine.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10179

The method can for the most part be adopted for your ribena wine.
You'll probably want to rack onto a campden tablet and add wine stabilizer at this point - there is a section here about that.

Check the instructions on your wine stabilizer - mine says half a teaspoon per gallon

kirton said:
I just bottled mine... and it's lush :thumb:
:cheers:

I'm just drinking a conventional WOW which fermented right down to 0.990, back-sweetened with Strawberry Ribena.

It's very lush indeed.

In the absence of a smiley with an inane grin and giggling like an idiot, I can only stick with :drunk:

Mine stopped just a tadge over 995 and was topped up with lidl's white grape juice.

Back