Mini Kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spursmatt

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was thinking about possibly getting a 5L mini keg, Are they any good?.

I have only just started brewing so quite inexperienced..

Also one quick question as that of priming sugar into the 5L keg, how much would I need to put in and how. Like I say due to time I use carbonation drops at the mo and was wondering how it was done!..

Many Thanks

Hiya,

I'm quite happily using mini kegs with a beer king 2000 co2 tap. I've got 8 in rotation now.

I have only put ales in, and for that I use a tablespoon of sugar to prime. So far so good and haven't had any problems.

I use a no rinse cleaner, called Oxi something or other, and find them simple and convenient.

:cheers:

johnnyh said:
Hiya,

I'm quite happily using mini kegs with a beer king 2000 co2 tap. I've got 8 in rotation now.

I have only put ales in, and for that I use a tablespoon of sugar to prime. So far so good and haven't had any problems.

I use a no rinse cleaner, called Oxi something or other, and find them simple and convenient.

Out of interest, how long does the beer last in one of these kegs once open? Also do you need to use a CO2 tap, or can you prime in the keg?

Thanks

I use CO2 and that way it seems to last as long as... Well I've never had one go bad.

If you use easy kegs which have a way of letting air in to allow the beer out, then I guess it would need drinking within a few days to prevent oxidation of the beer.

Many thanks for the info Johnnyh

I have purchased a mini keg starter kit from a home brew supply shop in Salisbury..

Looking forward to getting stuck in!..

I am fed up with bottling all the time..

I tend to do 2 or 3 kegs and the rest into bottles... be that 4 to 8 bottles.

That way I get to keep an eye on it and it is easier to sample ;)

I couldn't fit the keg in the fridge.. well I could but the Mrs was having none of it, so until I get hold of a Husky type fridge, I have found a cool bag that takes the keg and has a top flap that allows the tap and CO2 bit to sit out of it.

Sorry to dreg up an old thread, thought it would be better rather than start a new one.

Just to confirm as I'm going to prime this conckerwood beast into kegs tomorrow evening from my carboy..

I have 3 5L kegs

One cup of water boiled and then put in 1 TABLESPOON of sugar!..

Transfer to keg, poor in beer and bobs your uncle!...

Missed anything guys?..

Just defo want this to go right!...

Cheers
Matty

I've never used any boiled water... I just put a tablespoon of sugar in and fill up with beer :thumb:

If using the beer king 2000 tap with co2 bulbs do you still need to prime with sugar?
I'd like the idea of having a small keg to take to parties without the sediment created by the fermented priming sugar sloshing around in the bottom.

I think you would still want to prime it (all be it you don't use much sugar), as the co2 helps pressure for dispensing, not carbonation.

I can't say I have had any issues with sediment, but I do sit the keg in a cool bag and let it settle when it comes in from the cold for tapping.

Well I just ordered a starter kit from brew smarter. You get 3 kegs with rubber things, 10 co2 bottles and the tap thing. Looking forward to taking my brew to friends :)

I'm pretty sure the instructions that came with my minis back in the dim & distant past suggested up to but no more than 8gm of sugar per keg (these were the kegs without the fitted tap & to be used with something like the beer king) as you will be using CO2 to dispense. I bought the same kit a few years ago. The plastic tap works fine & I got about 18 months to 2 years heavy use from it. The Party Star tap is much better in my opinion-talk to Joe at Leyland homebrew (only UK stockist). He also carries spare dip tubes (if you do buy a spare dip tube,& I would advise you to) make sure you specify which brand of tap you have (different taps have different fittings as I found to my cost)

Mini kegs are not as popular as they could be,but if you are taking a beer to a party/going on holiday/fishing they are ideal.

I like them...I'm yet to split a dip tube but I do have spares just in case...

Bar_zps31049d47.jpg

cool, a 3 keg set up :)

I've only the one tap at the moment, but was thinking a second one wouldnt go amiss :thumb:

Latest posts

Back